Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Isla had never been so still. Camdyn was starting to worry for her. His whole life he remembers her being there in most memories, even his escapades usually ended with a scolding from Isla. But she was always in constant motion, never staying in one place for long, and never letting her age hold her back, in fact she was more active that most of the younger clan members. He noticed her line of sight was stuck upon Aislinn and that made this situation all the more strange. He would have expected a scolding for dragging a young woman into the Keep at this time of night when he could have camped, or even that she would take charge of Aislinn and leave him in their dust as she whisked her off in whichever direction she seemed most fit.

The shock kept Aislinn from moving, for a moment she even forgot to breath. This was the first time she had any memory of meeting anyone from her twilight world. She always knew the other place was real, but that was a knowing, this hammered the truth home once and for all. This tiny woman before her was a prominent figure in her dreams. Now for better, or for worse, this woman she knew was going to become a major part of her life. Possibly allowing her some knowledge of a past lost to her, or helping her overcome something that was to come that she had being seeing for years. This woman was important, it would become clear, and only time would tell.

From the still functioning part of Aislinn’s mind she felt Camdyn pull her forward until he was stood directly in front of this apparition of a woman. Camdyn released Aislinn’s hand to gently take Isla’s shoulders, for the first time her could feel how fragile Isla actually was when you take away her feisty personality. Aislinn vaguely heard Camdyn asking this woman if she was alright, if she needed assistance. The sound left the room though as Aislinn met Isla eyes, she could no longer hear Camdyn, or the chatter by the open door of the main door. She had seen those eye before, not in the twilight world, but in this one and that just deepened the mystery.

Isla shook herself and focused on Camdyn, when had he gotten so close to her? She shook of Cam’s hands brusquely, “Camdyn, what do you think you are doing, charging into the Keep at this time of night, and towing this girl with you without a by you leave.” She heard the sigh of relief Camdyn released and frowned in his direction, cowed he looked away as he did when he was 10 summers and had been found stealing treats from Cooks’ kitchen. Brushing past him she assessed the girl with a critical eye. She looked so much like her but how and why would have to wait, the girl looked dead on her feet. Too skinny, too pale and the bruises made her glare at Cam again.

Holding his hands up in surrender he was just glad Isla had snapped out of whatever had overtaken her. “I did not put those there. I found her like this, unconscious in the forest. And yes, I have placed her under my protection, so I’m afraid you cannot lecture me on that…but I am sure you will find something to bring me to rights on.” His smile took any sting out of his words and he winked at Aislinn, “She has always expressed a deep need for me to be a gentleman.” Leaning down to kiss the cheek, of the woman who had become his mother in most senses of the world when his own had left this world.

“Aislinn, this is Isla and as far as this Keep is concerned, she is in charge. If you do not mind I will leave you in her capable hands for the moment as I need to check on the progress of the cargo.” Turning abruptly and walking away, it was one of the hardest moments of his life. He did not want to leave Aislinn alone, and truly had no idea why he had suggested it, he just knew he needed the space to figure out what his next move was.

Shaking her head Isla looked back at Aislinn and without any preamble took hold of her hand and dragged her in the direction of the Kitchen. Aislinn probably shouldn’t have been surprised at the strength of the diminutive Isla, but found herself almost tripping in her hurry to keep up with the pace that was set across the hall and behind a wooden screen leading to the Kitchen. Isla directed her to a stool before a large work bench and watched amazed as the woman took control of the space, as she had a feeling she would in any situation. “This is probably the warmest room in the Keep at the moment, the fires are never truly allowed to go out, or our first meal would never be out on time otherwise.”

Aislinn sat quietly and just listened and watched as Isla made her way confidently around the kitchen making a quick meal and chatting the entire time. Aislinn did not catch half of the items being spoken of but she felt comfortable in the presence of this caring person, who she knew would turn rabid if she needed to protect or scold someone she cared about.

A platter of bread and cold meats was placed in front of Aislinn, along with a direct order to finish all of the platter before she was allowed to leave as ‘she was all skin and bone’. The watered wine that accompanied it was a welcome relief for her parched throat. Isla left her with those instructions warning her she was going to instruct the placement of the cargo and when she returned Aislinn better have finished of her meal or she would deal with Isla’s wrath, with that Isla left the room like a high wind of the ocean, leaving Aislinn speechless. Shaking her head she turned back to the feast before her. Such simple fare but she didn’t think she had ever seen so much meant for just her to eat. She want to work demolishing the platter with a gusto she had forgotten she possessed.

Camdyn stood at the bottom of the Keep steps watching his men and the servants unloading the cargo and sensing another storm coming down from the mountains. He wanted this completed in less than an hour. The people did not deserve to be kept too long from their sleep, especially as most he knew would be up before dawn setting up for the entire Keep to break their fast in the main hall. His men he did not have any sympathy for, however, as per their usual rules on trades they would not be expected to turn up for training tomorrow, but that was the only allowance they would get. Him, he would be leading the training tomorrow to see how the men had fared in his absence.

He turned as a shadow hit him from the doorway above him. Isla surveyed the courtyard before descending. And heading directly for him. The inquisition was about to be underway, and he knew he would end up giving all the answers she wanted, she always knew when he lied.

There was no introduction, as always she went straight for the kill. “Where did you find her, what happened to her and how long had she been with you.” He knew Isla was shrewd but he had a new respect for her, he did not judge him on bringing her here or putting her under his protection. He knew she wanted this information to help the woman, not to use this information against her. He told all her knew from the time he found her. He did not tell why he was walking that way or what she had revealed to him in that clearing, but the general information that all the other men knew he retold Isla.

He took his eyes of his men as he finished to look down and see a frown marring the already deeply lined face. “You are not telling me the whole truth Camdyn, but I will allow you these secrets for now. If that girl in there has any dangers after her, I expect you to eliminate them before I find out. Or I will eliminate them, and then come for you. She is special in a way you do not yet see, but if you do not take care of her I will box your ears like I did that time you led the expedition into the forest.”

“Will you ever let that go Isla? I was 8 summers and convinced that I was invincible. But I promise you, anything comes for her, they will have to get through me. I trust your judgement Isla, sometimes more than my own.” His head swung around, back to his men at the sound of shouting. Giving Isla a quick look of exasperation he headed quickly over to the wagon to help support the barrel that was precariously held on the edge.

Isla watched him walk over to his men and get in among them to help out. He was nothing like his father, he was honourable and not afraid to get his hands dirty when the call came for him. He was also a leader most looked up to instinctively and in recent times more had gone to Camdyn for help than his father. Though the only problem was he did not see that himself, he still saw himself living in the shadow of his father, and that perceived inadequacy was holding him back for the great man he was going to become. She just hoped that he saw it in time and that no one got hurt before it happened.

Camdyn looked back and saw Isla still stood where he had left her, she had the strangest expression upon her face, but he quickly forgot the look as the barrel fell into his arms and he struggled to right it and not spill its precious content.