Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Having successfully surviving the evening meal Aislinn was feeling full, satisfied and had a warm glow about her as she felt safe. Languid and pleased with the company and conversation, she did not realise she was falling asleep where she sat until her head jerked up from her chest. Taking a glance around to see if anyone had seen her, she looked straight into Cam’s amused stare. A slight twitch of her lips in return, before a yawn overtook her.

Covering it with the back of her hand, she tried, with little success to block the smirk on the twins’ faces across from her.

Cam shot the twins a lethal look that made them look interested in anything but Aislinn. He would not have her embarrassed. Well, not by anyone else, he had that privilege all to himself. She still was not fully healed. He knew that, but had let her stay later than was probably good for her, especially with all the excitement she had had today. Taking the hand she had used to shield her mouth as she lowered it. He brought it to his own lips and kissed the back delicately, he never knew he could be so gentle until he had met her.

Entwining their fingers together he sent a sharp glance at the warriors at the table, daring them to say anything, and completely ignored his sister’s haughty expression. Pushing back from the table, he dragged a drowsy Aislinn upright and caught her against him as she stumbled. Her eyes wide with shock at the position she was in, her cheeks bloomed a tantalising pink, which in turn made the wide eyes glow with an inner heat.

Saying goodnight to his people, all the males had a look that made him want to hit each and every one of them. They had no right to think like that about Aislinn. Him, they could think what they wanted about him, he was probably having the same thoughts himself. He could control himself…he hoped.

Taking most of her weight, Cam mostly carried Aislinn up the stairs and heading down to her room. She felt like she was floating. Weightless and heavy at the same time. Her feet were hardly moving on their own, yet she still managed to reach her doorway. She didn’t remember how she had gotten there.

In a daze, she looked up, shocked anew to find Cam by her side. She must be more tired than she thought. That realisation ironically made Aislinn feel awake for a few more moments. She could not stop staring at Cam. The depths of his eyes created by the shadows of the torchlight. Her scrutiny lowered to his lips. She had noticed them more and more over the last week. When he talked, when he ate and the way he nibbled on the corner as he thought deeply on an issue. Shaking her head she tried to look away, and failed miserably.

Cam knew what she was thinking. Her expression showed every emotion she felt, he found he liked that aspect. At least he knew that she found something about him she couldn’t keep away from. He could no longer walk away from her. His father’s warning could go burn in the fire pits of hell. This had to be a moment of pure heaven.