Hamish's Story

AN - if you are interested in Hamish's story, this is the prologue and I will be putting this and chapter one up momentarily which you will find on my profile if you are interest. Thanks for reading! Az.

Highland Supplanter

Prologue

                Hamish stood on the steps of MacKay Keep looking out over the courtyard as the sun weakly shone down on the crystals of ice, and the tight packed snow. He felt his shoulder burn from the cold, as Cam had thrown him into the hard packed earth and snowdrifts in their wrestling match earlier. He had seen much over the last few years. And was extremely glad for his best friend and chosen brother.

                Aislinn was the perfect lady for the clan, and both she and Cam had risen to the challenges they were presented with and now have a second child on the way. He would not want it any other way. Only as he saw their new family become closer, he felt further away than ever. They included him whenever they could. He just could not stand the thought of it being pity that made them invite him.

                He should have had more conviction in their friendship, but he could not change what he felt. They could do nothing about that, so there was no need for them to know. This was his problem and he would find his way out of it. He always did.

                Allowing his gaze to wander, he noticed a slip of a figure, not dressed in any way for the cold and the snow, slip out of the Keep gates and away from the festivities from the main hall. He felt something in him tug him in that direction. He had made a promise to her grandmother. He would take care of her, even if that meant that she hated him for ‘interfering’. As she had told him the last time she had wanted him gone.

                But he knew she was embarrassed. And embarrassment in this situation could lead to her being seriously hurt. Over his shoulder and through the door to the main hall, he could see the clan in high spirits. Heard something smash and the uproar of the crowd in laughter afterwards. He had seen Cam, Aislinn and their daughter taking a moment of peace at the top table and knew they would be fine.

                That left him free then. Free to catch a vivid flame that nobody saw anymore, that people skipped over, or forgot completely. She may have thought she had done a good job of that. But she was just about to realise, he did not give up that easily.