Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Isla found the four girls before the fire in the main hall, and while her own mind spun with information that only gave her more questions to ask, she knew she had to get to the bottom of their presence while the battle still raged. Camdyn would kill her if Aislinn missed his victory, of that she was certain. Half way across the room she really looked at the young women. Minna and Iona were talking so quickly and animatedly, their hands flying and their voices starting to rise in order to too be heard over each other. Aislinn was smiling affectionately at them, while also looking extremely embarrassed, and her hand was clasped tightly around Fyfa’s. Now that was a surprise, Isla did not know why, but she knew Fyfa kept to herself in the clan. She helped her grandmother a lot and was extremely quite in company, but Isla had never seen her in a group situation.

Aislinn was already making ripples in the clan. From the looks of things, she was going to create some huge waves, but without them this clan would be stuck in a place it should never have entered. Camdyn was slowly reversing the problems his father had created while he had been fit and well, and Aislinn was going to help with this changes. Even if she didn’t know it yet.

Oh, that also reminded her, she needed to check on Laird Toren, the illness he had from before Camdyn had left had been getting progressively worse. He hardly ever had any lucid points and when he did, he didn’t make much sense. The elders had to make a choice and soon, Camdyn needed to be named Laird so that this clan could become greater than it was when she was a girl. Now that was a long time ago.

Aislinn was distracted from the rather novel and rather boisterous third retelling of her now dramatic and daring rescue of Fyfa. At this point it had changed from an exchange of words to Aislinn practically holding Larena over the side of the parapet and forcing her to confess all the evil she had committed in her young life. While it was entertaining, if this version got out she hated to think what Camdyn would think of her treatment of his sister. She had noticed Isla heading their way, she needed to have a word with her about this whole ‘lady’ thing that was happening. She needed her to see that she needed to find a place in this clan, if she would help.

Releasing Fyfa’s hand, she was half way out of the large chair in front of the fire, when Isla descended upon them. Only for Minna and Iona to accost her with their tale of misadventure. Aislinn gave a sigh and sat back down. Looking at Fyfa she saw the girl trying to hold back a smirk of amusement at the situation she was in, though there was nothing malicious about it. “Oh, go ahead laugh, I know you want too. I would be, if it wasn’t me this was happening to.” Giving another more exaggerated sigh, she got her intended result when she heard her companion give an almost silent chuckle. “Aha! I knew you were in there somewhere. Any more trouble, come and get me, I will not let another person be treated like that. You don’t look like you’d hurt a fly.”

A tiny cough and Aislinn had to lean in to hear the actual words, “Well, maybe I would hurt a fly I can’t stand them flying around.” The smallest smile, but Aislinn was convinced that eventually this shell that surrounded to girl next to her, would fall away. Looking back towards Isla, who was completely bemused by the drama in front of her, and knew she had to save the poor woman. “Oh Isla, could I borrow you for a while. I do believe I should probably see the Keep, as I feel I would get lost if I was sent to a particular room.”