Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Aislinn was caught up in the magic around her. She was barely paying attention to Camdyn. Finding instead a part of her soul had calmed and felt at one with the nature around her. While Cam spoke in a hum around her, the feeling vibrated through her the words like mist in the air. The clearing looked to be on fire as the sun set over the distant mountains. Cam’s last words burst her out of the haze she was in. Those two she caught perfectly.

She knew how she wanted to answer, deep inside, the part of her connected with the earth would let her answer no other way. It recognised Cam on a level she did not even know existed. That was the moment she had her first vision outside of the twilight world. The enchantment around her pulled her under. With no way to stop it she clung to Cam, hoping he caught her. There was a tiny part of her in suspense, she hoped he would not take it as a rejection to his sudden proposal.

Only what she saw was not what she had expected. This was the past, a past connected both to the male who held her tight and the land he brought her to, that called to both their souls.

An early morning mist lay low on the earth. Spreading out with white fingers into the surrounding forest. Dew drops clinging to strands of grass. The feeling in the air was of early spring. The smell of new growth and new life all around. Small buds bursting through the barren winter ground. It was the idyllic scene. The place perfection for a romance tale of old. One the bards would sing of for centuries to come. A place where the gods of the old religion would walk the earth and talk with the mere humans, the ones who still believed.

The ones who believed in magic.

A place where it was not evil. It was not a sin. Someone caught with the skills to perform such feats were celebrated, brought into the fold. Not held in scorn. Tried by those they called friend. Ultimately killed, by the very people who helped bring you up, teach you, laugh and love with you. This place was peace. It was all good. The only evil here was brought by those with evil in their hearts.

Aislinn had never felt such a part of a vision before. So welcomed, so in control. She could move freely. Alone, there was no Camdyn here…or at least the Camdyn she knew. She felt his presence. The part that called to her as this place had. She felt it here, but different, there was a coating of innocence that he no longer held.

She could not see him.

Moving forward, they appeared out of the mist. It reminded her of the twilight world, the way they appeared, but she felt the solid ground beneath her feet, all her sense alive in a way they never had been before. She heard the chanting then, sensed the emotions, expectation, hope, desperation and utter heartbreak. It was a confusing mixture. She could not put them all together in such a way as to work out what was happening. How could someone be so happy while feeling such sorrow?