Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A slow blink met Cam’s statement, he took that as confirmation of him being understood and to continue. Though now it had actually come down to it, Cam could not find the eloquent words that he wanted to give. He settled on the fact he was a warrior, and he would have to speak as he fought, with the power he had in head straight into enemy lines. “There was a couple of skirmishes on the way to the arranged trade spot. We were victorious every time, we took no losses and only minor wounds. It was a good suggestion to only take trained warriors with us. Corey of course was the weakest link we had, but came in useful with his healing capabilities…”

He told his father of meeting with the Sassenach, what they traded and what they managed to get in return. How he had managed to get more than what his father had expected from the trade. He told of the cargo that would make sure their clan would survive through the winter and hopefully prosper further next year as there is a major possibility of this becoming an annual trade. He even told Toren of the traders who they had met upon their route and the lower land clans that would be interested in the goods produced up here in the MacKay clans’ lonely highland valley.

It was when he arrived at the part in his tale where Aislinn appeared that he had to start and smudge the truth a little. He could not tell his father of the ‘feelings’ not in his condition, he had always hated any mention of them. He did not want to lie to his father outright and so he took out certain parts and retold the story he had told his men. “Father, well, during the storm we managed to take cover one night in the southern cave system that you took me too when I was a boy. I decided, as I was commander of the expedition, to make sure the way was clear for the morning ride.”

He shifted uncomfortable in the hot room and on the solid chair. He did not want to share Aislinn with his father, but knew better than to keep something from him that anyone with access to this room could bring him news of. “I managed to go off track somehow, and ended up stumbling across a young woman unconscious on the ground. She was severely injured and incredibly cold. I managed to get her back to the caves alive. I gave her my protection and she has joined us here at the Keep. Isla has taken her under her wing, so I’m sure she will be put to good use.” He chuckled quietly thinking about Isla ordering Aislinn around as she cleaned his wound earlier.

Looking back to his father, he saw a grave look in his eyes. He saw the cracked lips try to work in their half state and leaned forward to hear the croaked half formed words. “Stay…from her. Not. Not good. Down…fall, her…problem.” The understandable words made no sense. But he could ask no further as the eyelids fluttered down in front of him and his fathers laboured breathing evened out somewhat. Knowing it would be useless to stay he needed to speak to some of the elders about the clan, maybe he could get from some of them what they problem with Aislinn was. Perplexed her kissed his father’s cheek and headed towards those who could answer him.

Aislinn reached the main hall and she saw two shadows in the corner opposite the doorway she had just exited. Curiosity taking over she headed in that direction. Even more curious when she saw that Hamish had cornered Corey she called out to warn them of her approach. “Hamish, is everything alright? I was hoping you had seen Isla, maybe point me in her direction?” She smiled politely at the two of them, she was sure Corey was scared and had to separate them, but she had got to know Hamish a bit during the journey back. She knew he would not attack Corey for no reason, so that was why she had aimed her questions toward him.