Epilogue

AN - this is it, I have finally managed to finish my first book, enjoy, and thanks!

Epilogue

                1 year later, New Year’s Eve

                Aislinn stood on the Keep steps, which had been thankfully cleared of the bitterly cold snow, as she watched her husband and Hamish acting like over grown five year olds. Most of the clan had come up for a celebration that had only grown since the one they had last year. And while most of the women were contemplating male stupidity in the warm main hall. Isla, Edine, Minna and surprisingly Fyfa had joined her and the men who had come to cheer on their Laird and their Captain wrestle in the knee high snow of the courtyard. Both bare chested against the glacial temperatures.

                While the men’s cheers rent the air. As Cam threw Hamish to the ground through a cloud of white. Aislinn stood hands on hips shaking her head. “Remind me again, Isla. That this is the man who managed to set up two new trade routes this year. As well as becoming a father and is seen as one of the best Lairds this clan has seen.” She turned to face the woman who face was, as always, displaying the scowl that showed her disapproval. “Because, I am sorry, but right now I am failing to see it.” At that point Cam threw both arms in the air in a sign of victory, only to be tackled from behind, Hamish’s arms coming around Cam’s middle as they both landed face first in a snow drift.

                “Go inside Aislinn, I’ll deal with these two.” Then Isla turned her to her, and that disapproval was hinted with concern, “You need to get out of this cold in your condition. And that man needs some sense knocking into him. Right now you are too fragile to do that.”

                About to argue with her, Edine grabbed her arm through the cloak and pulled her back inside. “No point in arguing with her Aislinn. Let her deal with Cam. She’s right you shouldn’t be out in the cold in your condition.” She shot Edine a look that promised revenge, but both had a sparkle in their eyes. Aislinn put her hands back over the tiny bump that was currently keeping her second child warm and safe.

                Cam had certainly wasted no time in getting her with child, as soon as he could, after she had be declared fully healed by Isla from the first birth. At that point, one of the clanswomen brought over Catriona, the bairn wiggling as she recognised her mother. At six months old she was making herself known to the clan. And had already made a point of charming half of the clan’s warriors. The women had stolen her away earlier, and probably given her some treats that her mother never would have allowed.

                Taking her carefully into the comfort of her arms, she knew she had been blessed. The chubby little limbs clinging on as she settled Catriona against her hip, in the most natural of positions. She had found, whilst it had been a tiring sleep deprived few months, they had easily become the best of her life. Touching her fingertip to the tiny nose of her daughter as she tried to fit her entire fist in her mouth, they both giggled together.

                Following behind Edine as she wading a path through the many people packed into the warm main hall. She finally managed to collapse into a chair at the high table. Much to the delight of the laughing girl in her arms. “I’m glad you’re happy,” she wiggled her nose against daughter, “because your mother is very cross at your father right now.” Only for Catriona to grab, in a rather strong grip, a lock of hair. Giving it a mighty tug.

                She did not notice as Edine was stolen away by her husband, her attention captivated by her constantly changing and growing daughter. She felt that if she blinked she would miss something. It was Catriona, however, that noticed her rather disgruntled father as he collapsed sullenly into the chair beside them both.

                Waving her arms out towards him, Catriona was the apple of her father’s eye, and he spoiled her awfully. He was glad Aislinn always managed to curb him when he went too far. And if he ever needed a reason to stop, Larena was always there showing exactly what he did not want his daughter to turn out like. Taking her into his arms, he held out a hand and clasped it tightly with his wife’s. From the look she gave him, he knew she did not approve of his little wrestling match.

                Only he did not want to tell her the real reason behind the match. He was worried about Hamish, so had called him out with the match. He had no proof there was something wrong. He could just feel it. Holding his daughter safe as she yawed and laid herself against his chest, kissing the top of her head before transferring that kiss to his wife’s hand. “Sorry.”

                When she sighed, he was forgiven, he knew it. She could never stay mad at him for long. Turning to look him in the eye she proved just what she was to him, and how much he needed her. “Cam, you don’t have to tell me until you are ready. But is Hamish alright.” They both watched as Hamish finished talking with one of his fellow warriors took a glance around and then slipped back outside.

                “I’m not sure, but I am keeping an eye on it. How are you feeling?” She rubbed her hand over the bump, and smiled serenely over at Cam. “I’m better than this morning. And I know you have Isla preparing for the birth already. Silly man, I am not going to be leaving you now. Not know you are mine, and the priest finally came to confirm it.” She tried to smile as confidently as possible at him. Both remembering the two day labour she had been in with Catriona, only for her to be born breech. It was touch and go at that point. And it had taken a while for Aislinn to recover, but Cam had been there with her every step of the way, as well as taking care of the clan.

                Isla was going to be checking on the bairn’s position constantly towards the end of her time, and she knew Cam had been talking with her as well. They were going to try and make this time round as easy as possible, except from the sickness that seemed to be endless at the moment.

                The quiet moment they had grasped among the clan, was shattered as a crash sounded, platters and goblets went crashing to the ground. Both looking over they knew exactly who was responsible, and the issue was raised once again. “I need to find Larena a husband, get her out from under our feet.”

                Aislinn put one hand on her daughter’s heads, and kissed her husband’s cheek. “Whatever you decide, I’ll stand beside you. You know that.” With that, Cam put his free arm around her shoulder as she cuddled into him, as they watch Isla take over with both Larena and the mess. And the clan was back on the right track once more.