Chapter 36

Chapter 36

After breaking their fast the next morning, the whole clan was abuzz with the news. Everyone had an opinion on the matter. While the majority were of the mind that it was a good thing for the clan, and most believed it was even better for Cam, who had been withdrawing more and more into himself over the past few months.

There was the inevitable group whose jealousy and pettiness meant they were particularly mean spirited, about what should be a welcome change, to the coming monotony of highland life over winter. Larena and Vika were heading that party. Along with their gaggle of mindless friends who tended to nod energetically to any vicious comment made by their commanders. Those comments Aislinn was doing her best to ignore, and some she was trying her best to hold back the outright laughter.

With no priest with the clan at present. They knew they would have to wait till spring before they next saw a man of God. They only ever had the privilege of a priest stay over winter once every five or six years. That meant while the men prepared the fields for spring, and trained for any scuffles to come. The women now had a wedding to plan. With the heir, and at some point soon the Laird, getting married it had to be spectacular. Definitely one to tell the grandchildren about, on a future winter’s night.

Isla had stolen Aislinn, almost before she had finished her morning meal, and knowing Isla’s need to see Aislinn finish a meal and eat seconds. She had to have been extremely happy about the circumstances to take her away with no seconds or even a spare bread roll. Not that you would have been able to tell with the look upon her face. Aislinn had learnt very quickly, Isla’s main look was irritated. It was her actions that actually showed what kind of mood she was in.

Taking her off to meet some of the women that had not been around those first few days, by the hearth in the main hall. She was ensconced in a cottage in the village, surrounded by women, all planning for a hand fasting. It was far too long to wait till spring. And why have only one celebration when you could have two.

Knowing Isla’s plans, as she had decided to impart them on him, after his ear blistering before breaking their fast, Cam knew she would be safe for the day. He had some things to sort out himself. The first being his father. And standing before that door, which lead to the stuffy closed in room, he closed his eyes and pictured Aislinn. As she had been that morning, the bruises from when he first met her had final turned into a pale yellow, barley noticeable anymore. Her skin glowed in the early morning light, laughing with eyes sparkling. He managed to hold that image as he took a deep breath and entered his father’s room.

It had been just under a week since he had last had a chance to visit Toren. In that time, he could tell he had taken a turn for the worse. The rattle in his breath could be heard from the doorway. That rattle was feared by all in the clan. No one Cam knew had ever recovered after that noise had made its deadly appearance. It also meant it could only be a matter of days before the death that hovered in the air became a physical being.