Chapter 43

Chapter 43

A week had passed since Toren had gone into the final goodnight. The clan had mourned for three days. His body being layed to rest in the consecrated ground behind the Keep. They would have to wait till spring for the full Christain rites to be observed. Though his life had been celebrated to the full, with an overabundance of meats and ale, whisky flowing freely throughout all who came for the celebration of life. Most would admit that there was not many within the clan who would miss him on a personal level. Of those the majority were of the opinion Camdyn was already acting a better Laird than Toren had been for years.

When the three days were over, the clan took up the idea of the handfasting with gusto. The plans were brought forward. Nobody wanted to dwell on death, and what a better way to celebrate life than with a ceremmony joining two together. Camdyn and Aislinn had discussed their situation many times, and eventually decided that it would be better for all if the clan did not find out the truth. Either way Cam would still be Laird, due to her status as Heir. Their children would still inherit. Aislinn was happy knowing she was finally wanted. Camdyn was happy knowing who he truly was and feeling at peace with that for the first time.

Corey, however, was still in a limbo state. Whatever had befallen him had confused the entire clan. Non could remember seeing him since three days after the poisoning. Hamish had told of how Corey was convinced he was on the trail of the poisoner. Trying to prove his innocence at the same time as proving his abilities to both Cam and Hamish.

As a result his mother had no idea what had been done to him. She was using trial and error to find try and heal him. He had been in and out of conciousness for the last week. Speaking incoherently. Not making any sense, babbling about nothing inparticular. One thing was certain, his ondition had been inflicted upon him. He had a gash on the back of his head, that had started to heal, but according to his mother had the signs of infection.

His wrists rubbed raw, as if against thick coarse rope. That above all else told Cam how dangerous this person was. They were no longer looking for an oppertunist, they were looking for someone who calculated and planned. They had managed to hold Corey hostage without any of the clan realising that he was missing and had managed to keep him locked away. Until he had managed to escape of course.

Camdyn could think of nothing else over the last few days. After Toren was put in the ground, the frail bitter old man, forever out of his life, his mind had turned to plots of murder. As he encouraged Aislinn to help Isla in the handfasting arrangements, he had turned to Hamish and his most trusted and they had been holding a hunt for whoever this person was. If they could try and take out Corey of the equation after Aislinn had almost died, then they were too dangerous to be hunted in secret anymore. The whole clan knew they were searching, and most were extremly pleased.

Larena as expected, took it as the ultimate insult. How could she and her friends be under suspiscion the same as those beneath her notice. “It was unthinkable,” she had made her opinion clear the day he had made it clear to the clan. He was not going to rest until they had found this danger hiding among the hard working people within the clan.