Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Isla was worried beyond belief. She knew that Cam had taken Aislinn so they should be safe, together. But neither had returned to the Keep by the time she arrived back. And they had set off hours in front of her. Hamish, on the other hand, she wanted to hit upside the head. He wasn’t worried in the least. Said he knew Camdyn was fine and that they would be back when they were ready. Then to frustrate her even more, he had sauntered off in the direction of the kitchen to catch up on the meals he had missed through the day, whilst standing guard duty.

She knew she had the power to send out a search party, for Cam was heir and his safety had to be accounted for. But without Hamish’s help, as Cam’s second and his friend, she had no idea where they were to start. So to ease her mind, she decided to take Hamish’s advice, though she added a time limit. They had until the midnight hour to return, or she was going to bully Hamish into helping her. And no one said no to her when she was in that mood.

Cam rode back to the Keep, a contented bliss surrounded him, though he would never admit to anything that made him sound like such a woman. He would never be able to lead his men again if he admitted that. Though he did pull Aislinn closer where she sat in front of him, cradled against his chest. He had hoped she would fall asleep, only she sat there staring ahead, lost in her thoughts.

He had felt as if he was floating when she had agreed. That that was the first thought she had had once waking. When she had mentioned that she needed to speak with him of a topic of a serious nature. He refused to hear her right away. That moment, he would not sully it with real life. He had promised that he would listen to her, that nothing she could say would make him feel differently about her. What worried him was that she had not seemed convinced. She wanted to be with him, but she thought that the knowledge she had to impart would change that.

Only he knew whatever she had to say, he didn’t have it in him to leave her now.

Aislinn spent most of the ride back to the Keep thinking through how she could give Cam the message from his parents. Without sounding like a lunatic, who he would decide he did not want anywhere near him. How did you tell someone you cared so much about that he was not who he thought he was, he was so much more?

As they neared the gates they heard the noises of men and horses on the other side. Both sat up a little straighter in the saddle. They may have expected some to be up awaiting their arrival, but neither expected such a party waiting for them and the gates wide open as they readied to leave.

Riding through silence rippled through the crowd, with those closest to them noticing them first. And those men nudging the ones next to them. Eventually they saw the last person turn in their direction.