Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A timid knock at the door had Aislinn on her feet. Opening it she found a young woman roughly her own age standing there with an arm full of cloth. She was a few inches shorter than Aislinn and quite a bit rounder, but she looked very cheerful with rosy cheeks and a nose slightly too wide for her face. She gave quick bob of a curtsey and entered the room with a flurry. To Aislinn’s surprise she did not enter alone, but it seemed she had brought and entire battalion with her, as they brought in a wooden half tub, with bucket after bucket of steaming water.

Now Aislinn understood, she had been kept hostage in the bedroom with the removal of decent clothing until she had bathed. Just for a moment it made her think, did she really look that bad? But decided to put that thought to the back of her mind, for she planned to enjoy this as she had never washed in warm water before. The original girl had used Aislinn’s distraction to deposit her load, direct the people around the room and return to her side. Introducing herself as Minna with a merry disposition she shooed the males out of the room, and without any preamble started to pull the chemise over her head.

Aislinn found her a worthy opponent, Minna did not give Aislinn time to think at all, which she had a feeling was due to Isla. She was undressed and in the wooden half tub of steaming water in under 30 seconds. Looking back she could even say how Minna had managed it, but the heat was soothing, even if she was a little uncomfortable with the unused too heat. Without any time to spare Minna had two women pounce on her with wash cloths as Minna herself concentrated on her tangled mop of hair.

Scrubbed within an inch of her life, her usual white skin a glowing pink, and smelling slightly of lavender due to the soap she saw them use. She had never experienced anything like this and was in awe of how efficient these women were. As soon as they deemed her clean, and not bothering to listen to any objections she had on the matter, they pulled her from the tub and had her wrapped in a drying cloth before they fire someone had thought to bring back to full life.

Briskly drying her, irritating her raw skin with the cloth that was a tad abrasive, they had her in a new day chemise of a soft cotton. This was the best she had ever dressed, and she had no way for her to be able to fully repay them for the kindness they were showing her. After wrapping her waist length hair in another drying towel, they carefully maneuvered the hair through the neckline of the midnight blue dress, it fell in a waterfall of colour to pool at her feet upon the floor. The material was the richest she had ever seen, let alone warn, the velvet felt fuzzy against her touch, and made her delight in the sensation.

A small three legged stool, reminding her of a milking stool, was placed on the floor before the fire and everyone but Minna left the room, just as quickly as they had entered. Aislinn’s head was spinning as she was led to the stool and Minna unwrapped and combed out her long hair. As the soothing motion started to relax Aislinn she decided to try and get some information about the clan from the woman currently humming jovially as she performed her task. She had a feeling Minna would be happy doing any job as long as she got to interact with other people.

“Have you worked at the Keep long, Minna. I may need help to get around to start off with, it is the largest place I have ever been in my life.”

“Oh yes, m’lady. I was born and grew up in the village just outside the wall. I started to work here as a scullery maid four winters ago. Isla said it was time to put me to better use, and if you do not mind, m’lady, I’m to be your ladies maid. Unless a more you prefer someone with more experience and then of course I will understand.” The wide smile, dimmed at the last sentence. Minna really did want this job. Isla had asked her to perform this job personally, and from what she could tell Lady Aislinn would be a fair lady who would not act so drastically as Lady Larena if she messed up with an item, or did not do something just so. Aislinn had uttered but two sentences to her and still she could see the light that shone through her and the beautiful personality within.