Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Aislinn collapsed against the door behind her. She had never expected that. The feelings coursing through her still. Her legs no longer holding her upright, but not out of drowsiness anymore. She put trembling fingers against her lips, touching lightly the area that had felt such exquisite pleasure only minutes before. Before almost being caught. Her cheeks once more filled with heat. She could no longer think in straight lines any more.

The door tried to move at her back, forcing her back into the present. “Aislinn, are you alright?” Moving away to let Minna through, she quickly tried to make sure she was presentable, she did not want any rumours spreading because of her attire. Not that Minna was the sort to be malicious, but she did like to talk, a lot, and if she mentioned anything it would be a complete accident. Though it would be no less destructive.

Rapidly undoing her braid as Minna pushed through with a bundle in her arms, not noticing the rush she was in until her hair was free around her shoulders. “Oh, M’lady, you should have waited, I would have done that.” Flustered Minna mumbled under her breath as she bustled around. She was such a large character, she filled the room, and Aislinn was regretting Isla sending her up as her head started pounding.

She let Minna do what she would. Not particularly caring at that moment. Now the rush of the kiss had ended she had dropped back into a lethargy that threatened to send her to sleep on the spot. As Minna comb out her hair she felt her head nodding along with thoughts fuzzy. The next she knew, she was in a new night chemise she thought must be the bundle Minna had brought with her, and she was being settled into bed. The covers toasty warm around her, pulling her down into the twilight world before Minna had closed the door behind her.

Opening her eyes again. A soft white mist surrounded her. She never knew if it was like a blink and she was here or if she had been asleep for hours and she had not remembered or had not dreamed before this time.

The people were back, only this time Cam was there as well, mingling with the others around her. She was in the white dress from the last time she had seen these people. She recognised faces among them now. People who were once her future were now her present. They were clearer, more focused than before. She felt encircled by warmth, love and protection. The last mainly coming from Cam.

Why had she not seen him here before? She didn’t understand. The most important people in her life had always been here. Even if she had not seen them or had not yet met them. Camdyn MacKay should have been one of the most essential of them all, so she would have thought. Was it just because she had not known she would finally get what she had always dreamed of? Or more the fact she did not know how that dream would come into fruition? Had she known what was to come would she have gone looking too soon? Would she never have met him had she known?