Chapter 2

The nice man led me upstairs to a new room with my legs barely working from neglect. There was a couch under a wide window, a television sat across from it. Someone was leading my captor outside. My captor was staring me down with cold, hard eyes. I could finally see him. His eyes were of stone. One of the men pushed him and muttered something. I finally looked around. There were so many people, they were everywhere. Too many PEOPLE!

I dropped and closed my eyes, my wings encasing me. The nice man yelled to clear the room. I felt a hand rest on my back. My head whipped around to look at him.

"Hey, everything is going to be alright. We just need to take you to get looked over. I'll make sure nothing happens to you."

I slowly nodded, my wings lowering.

"Listen, there are curious people out there who might swarm you if they see your....wings."

I whimpered. My legs felt like jelly. I knew I wouldn't be able to walk out of here. I tried to speak but nothing came out. The man gave me a small smile.

"I'm going to get a blanket to cover you. Then we are going to drive you to the hospital."

I nodded. He got up and came back a few seconds later. He carried me out with one arm under my legs and the other under my wings. My head rested on his chest and I dozed off to the beat of his heart.
---------------------------------------------------------
When I woke up I was in a white room and I heard voices outside the door. The lights were dimmed, probably on account of my living in darkness and the blinds were drawn. There was a sink and mirror across from me. I walked over to the mirror and looked at myself for the first time in years.

I had a hospital dress on and my wings poked out the back. I extended the to their full length. The tips went past my fingers about two feet. My wings were a dark ebony, but they looked so .....frail.

I looked at my face. It was gaunt and dirty, my eyes were a beautiful amber, like honey. My hair was the color of my wings but it was matted and tangled.

I decided to look out the door window. I saw my savior and a man in a lab coat. The guy in the lab coat looked over and was startled when he saw me. I shot back over to my bed as the two entered.

My savior walked over and sat down on the bed next to me.

"I know we haven't formally met so let me introduce myself. I'm Samuel Roberts and this is Dr. Diaz. Can you tell us your name?"

'What name?' I want to say, but I just shook my head.

Samuel looked at me. "Why don't you want to tell us?"

I tapped my temple with my index finger and shook my head. 'Don't remember.'

Samuel looked towards the doctor then back at me. "You don't remember?"

I nodded and looked down. I guess my wings are the only thing I'll ever be known for.

"Do you want a name?" I looked up and nodded. "How about Raven?"

I couldn't help but smile.