Chapter 30

It was Thursday and I was skipping school. I am supposed to testify against Dr.Lyon today. I was getting ready. I was wearing a nice blue button up shirt with slits in the back, to accommodate my wings and some nice black pants. I wore sneakers anyway.

  Emily was downstairs helping my mom make breakfast. She kind of just started living with us. She usually stays after patrols and walks home if she doesn't accidentally fall asleep on the couch. Which is what she did last night.

  I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. Emily and Mom were making pancakes. My dad was sitting at the new table. An oak peice. He was looking at his phone with a frown on his face.

  "What's wrong Dad?" He looked startled. He hadn't seen me come in. He took a deep breath and gestured to a chair.

  "You should sit down Baby Bird." I tentatively took a seat.

  "Dad?" He sighed.

  "The case has been put on hold. Dr.Lyon was found this morning unresponsive. They think someone smuggled in some drug that would induce a coma. The prison is on lockdown as they investigate. I'm sorry, but he's not going to be brought to justice until he wakes up." I stared at him. I didn't know what to say. I just needed to be alone.

  It was like a haze came over me. I couldn't remember going to my room, but I was there. I just sat there on the bed. Not knowing what to do. Not knowing what to think. It felt like hours I just sat there, staring out my window. There was a soft knock on my door.

  "Are you coming to school?" Emily's soft voice drifted through the door.

  "No, I don't think so." I answered. I tried to sound strong but my voice wavered. She spoke again.

  "Go for a flight Raven. Clear your head. You're not going to help yourself by being locked in a room. I'll come by after school." Her gentle footsteps faded as she went downstairs. She was right. I'm trapping myself in my thoughts when I'm locked in my room. I turned my phone on vibrate and unlocked my door.

  I don my hero outfit and take off out the window. I joined the white clouds in the sky. It was peaceful. I could see everything below me. Flying was a feeling like no other. I had control over my destination. My altitude. Everything. Nothing could drag me down. It was true freedom.

  I felt my phone vibrate, but I wasn't in the mood to answer. I let it go to voice mail. It vibrated two more times before it stopped. In the back of my mind I wonder if I should have answered. It must've been urgent if they called so many times.

  I drift closer to the ground. I was above the city. More specifically, the Washington monument. It was far enough away that a few strong flaps of my wings would get me there. I was up high enough that I could land on it. I didn't want to disrespect it though. I started drifting towards the ground below.

  An agonizing pain ripped through my side. I put my hand to my side. Crimson red covered my palms. I felt the heat spread over my abdomen. My blood started to spread over my shirt. My blood. Another pain ripped through my shoulder. I started falling. Inky shadows ebbed like waves in the corners of my vision. My wings splayed upward on both sides of me. The darkness has almost consumed my sight. The blue sky is last thing I saw.

  I never felt impact.
---------------------------------------------------------
I'm not going to make you guys suffer too much. Sequel is published. It's called Broken Wings.