Chapter 29

I was sleeping on the couch again. Emily insisted she would this time but I guilt tripped her in to taking the bed. I had woken up to get water when heard a soft yell. I hurried upstairs and yet again heard whimpering. I knocked on my door.

  "Emily? You ok?" I listened carefully. I almost didn't hear her.

  "N-No." I opened the door slowly. I turned on the lights. She was in the bed this time. Her hands covered her face. She was crying. I quickly sat down next to her. I tentatively took her in my arms.

  "What's wrong?" She didn't answer for a second as her breathing was erratic.

  "I-It was all so real. I-I was in the alley again but the employee, t-they didn't get away. T-They killed them." She was talking about when she was stabbed. I rubbed circles into her back.

  "It's ok. The employee got away. They're ok." Her breathing slowly returned to normal, save for the sniffle every now and then. She eventually calmed down and fell back to sleep. I gently laid her down and got up. As soon as I turned my back I heard her.

  "Please don't leave me." My breath hitched. I let out a breath.

  "Ok. I won't." I turned off the lights and crawled into bed with her. I fell asleep holding her with her head resting under my chin, my arm around her waist, and my wings wrapped around us.
---------------------------------------------------------
  My parents didn't say anything about us both coming out of my room this morning, something I was grateful of. Mom drove us to school early, so that people wouldn't start gossiping.

  Emily hung out with me, Jen and Jared most of the day. You could tell they wanted to talk to me in private about what happened the day before Marcus glared at me in the classes I had with him. Then came lunch time. Emily sat with us and tried to explain pre-calculus to Jen. She wore the clothes she choose the night before accompanied with black boots. She looked intimidating. Marcus hovered around our table trying to decide what to do about me. It was disappointing to see he wasn't suspended, but I still needed to give my statement. He finally had the guts to come over, glancing at me the entire time.

  "Emily, where have you been? You haven't been answering your phone." Emily stopped eating and got up.

  "I was so sick that I did not care to charge my phone. I can understand that might have worried you. What I can't understand is why you would pick a fight with Raven!" Her voice raised to a yell.

  "I don't trust her! She never talks! She's a creepy lesbo! I don't think I want you to hang out with her any-" He was cut off by a slap. It was almost surreal how silent it was.

  "You do not get to tell me who I get to hang out with. We're over Marcus." He stood there as she sat back down. I looked at her. I didn't even realize what I said next.

  "Holy shit." I gaped at her.

  "Language Raven." I glared as she laughed.

  "Why do you talk all of the sudden!?" Jared decided to interject. I shrugged.

  "After I was adopted I started to talk more. Getting over my trauma." They never questioned what happened to me, I wouldn't know how to respond if they did. They understood it's not something I liked to talk about.

  News spread fast through the school. Apparently someone had tweeted the video of the fight yesterday and the confrontation today. We didn't see Marcus for three days as the video had proved he started the fight. Everything was going my way.