Chapter 28

When I walked in I discovered Emily on the couch. In her own clothes this time. I gave her a questioning look. She gave me one back. I heard something clang I'm the kitchen combined with the sound of running water.

  "So, who'd you fight? Did you start it? Who won?" The water stopped and my mom walked in.

  "Fought Marcus. He started it. I won." My mom sighed. Emily stared off into nothing with a crinkle on her forehead.

  "At I know you're not a troublemaker." She informed me she was making steak for dinner and went back into the kitchen. Emily finally looked up.

  "Why did he fight you?" I sighed and plopped down on the couch beside her.

  "He accused me of kidnapping you because you haven't been answering your phone. Don't worry. He's not hurt. He is scared of me now though." I threw my head back and chuckled.

  "I wanted to be alone so I turned my phone off." I nodded.

  "There's nothing wrong with that." I kicked my shoes off. 

  "I'm guessing since you only have a split lip that it didn't get too far." There was worry in her eyes. She was trying to play it off.

  "One of my wings was dislocated in the fight. Janet fixed it." I had told her that Janet was our medic yesterday.

  "Oh." She looked conflicted.

  "It was pretty funny to see everyone's faces when I said you probably just didn't want to talk to him. It got dead silent." I threw my head back and laughed. Emily smacked me in the shoulder.

  "Ow! What was that for?!" She raised her eyebrow.

  "The first time you even speak at school, it's because your insulting someone in a fight!" Her voice raised while she was berating me.

  "Yeah, I think no one's gonna try and mess with me. You and Marcus' friends backed away from me. It was...empowering."

  "They're not my friends. I don't have friends." I smacked her shoulder.

  "What am I? Chopped liver!" She giggled.

  "That's such an old saying. No one says that anymore."

  "Well I do. So, take that." She giggled again and I couldn't help smile. They way it made her blue eyes brighten. It was indescribable.

  "I think I'm going back to school tommorow. Marcus has been getting...possessive. It's time I put him in his place." She sighed.

  "As much as I would love to see his face when that happens, do you think you're ready for that?"

  "I need to take out my stitches tonight. Besides I'm not going to be fighting just yet. I need to go back to my house though. I want to look good when it goes down." I laughed.

  "I can't fly you there. Can't fly for a couple days. Doctor's orders." She shrugged.

  "It's kind of far, but I haven't exactly been exercising. Do you want to walk with me?" I nodded.

  "Sure, it's not like my legs were injured!" She laughed again. It's so nice to hear her laugh. Before we left I shouted where we were going to my mom.
---------------------------------------------------------
  It took us the better part of an hour to get there. It probably would have taken us fifteen minutes in a car. It was a nice neighborhood. Her house was two stories and was painted a bluish gray. When we went in I noticed it didn't look lived in.

  She quickly pulled me upstairs to her room. It was slightly larger than mine. She rifled through her closet. She pulled out some ripped jeans, a white v-neck and a leather jacket.

  "I think this will show him what he'll be missing." I looked down confused.

  "Wait, I thought you were putting him in his place, not dumping him."

  "That's how I'm putting him in his place."

  "Oh." It was silent as she packed into her bag. I looked at her, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

  "Are you going somewhere else?" She sighed and stopped packing.

  "I don't want to be alone. This house is too empty. Can I stay at your house a few more nights?" I nodded. Anything to keep her from being sad.
---------------------------------------------------------
  We walked home in a comfortable silence. I wondered why her house was empty and why it was just a house and not a home.