Chapter 5

I had taken the placement test and I do have to play catch up, but if I started Junior year I would have until then to catch up. The school year ended when I was in the hospital so I have time.

Sam had come home yesterday and was planning a vacation to his friends country house. He said they have twenty acres surrounded by forest.

Sam had also taken to calling me Baby Bird. I think the name is growing on me though.

Due to my special diet, signs of my malnutrition have started to dissappear and my wings have grown another foot. It's going to be hard to hide them if they grow anymore. Thank God for oversized sweaters.

My bedroom started to feel like home, or at least I think that's what home feels like. The walls were painted purple, with the bed adjacent from the door and a bookcase next to the closet. I don't have many books or clothes.

A knock sounded at my door and then Melissa came in.

"There is a sale at the mall, we can get you some more jeans and underwear."

Grabbing my notepad I started writing. Can I get some books too?

"Sure, why not."

I pumped my fist in the air then started putting on my shoes. Melissa shook her head and left, muttering something about lunch.

'Maybe I can find an aerodynamics guide.'

I bolted downstairs grabbing a sweater from the coat rack and tugging it on. This was going to be an adventure.
---------------------------------------------------------
The mall was HUGE! It was like entering a whole new world. My only dislikes are heat and people. All the people made the heat worse and people kept bumping into me. The only comfort was Melissa guiding me around.

Until we got seperated.

People were jostling and pushing me and I couldn't find her. I felt like I was suffocating, there were too many people. I need to get out. I need to GET OUT. I NEED TO GET OUT.

"Are you okay?"

My head shot up to look at the origin of the voice. It was a girl, about my age. She had golden hair and eyes as blue as the sky. Her skin was free from any blemish. It's almost as if she wasn't real.

"Can you hear me?"

I nodded rapidly and she stuck out her arm to help me up.

'So she is real.' I thought as I grabbed her arm. I quickly adjusted my sweater to make sure my wings weren't showing and looked around. We were in the hall leading to the bathrooms. I didn't even remember getting over here.

"I'm Emily, what's your name?"

I reached for a pen behind my ear and the note cards I started carrying. I started writing. Raven, thanks for helping me.

'Dear God, my heart is beating hard, must've been from my....incident.'

Emily looked puzzled when I held out my note card for her to read.

"You can't talk?"

I choose not to.

"Oh."

Then Melissa came out nowhere, hugging me and nearly knocking me over.

"Raven! I was so worried when we got seperated. Are you okay?"

I nodded. Then she gave another hug so tight it felt like my wings were being crushed. Then I heard a giggle behind me. Melissa must have heard it too.

"Thanks for keeping Baby Bird company but we have to go. Bye!" Melissa said as I face palmed.

Emily giggled and we left, but I wouldn't forget about her, not anytime soon.