Chapter 6

Today is the day I get to test out my wings. I was running around the house packing a bag. The house in the country is only a few hours away but I packed some snacks anyway. Then I heard a knock on my door.

"Raven, are you almost done? We need to go before traffic gets bad." Sam said.

I opened the door and nodded rapidly. Sam smiled and I followed him downstairs. Melissa was packing a cooler with sandwiches. I was practically jumping up in down in excitement.

"Why don't you two get in the car, I'll be out in a minute."

Sam and I got in the car and I immediately stretched out in the back seat.

"You know I've been thinking about getting you a phone so you can text us if you need help and for when you make friends at school. How does that sound?"

I quickly wrote down on a note card. THAT SOUNDS FANTASTIC!

"I'll get one for you before you go to school. By the way how is catching up on the curriculum?"

Math is evil.

"I never liked math either."

Melissa got in the car we left. The view was beautiful once we turned on to a dirt road. The forest looked full of life. I even saw a few deer. When we finally arrived I bolted out of the car.

"Wait a minute!" Melissa yelled

I turned around to look at her and she waved me back.

"We have to unpack first."

'Oh.'

Once we finished unpacking Sam said that I should change into some jeans because it was colder at higher altitudes. When I finally got outside Sam and Melissa were sitting in the patio. I nodded at them and ran.

I was excited. As I was running I started flapping my wings. I was gaining height. Soon I was soaring through the sky, it all came natural to me. The wind in my face filled me with euphoria.

They sky was the same blue as Emily's eyes. I started to think of her and my heart was beating fast again. Probably 'cause I'm flying.

'I am FREE!'
---------------------------------------------------------

It was our third day at the country house and Sam bought me some goggles for flying. He said he didn't need me crashing because a bug got in my eye. I had also taken to sleeping on my stomach so that my wings can stretch out.

I also started having nightmares. I don't know what triggered them and I was perfectly happy without them. Sam is suggested that I go to a therapist, but for now sleeping pills will do.

I also found a large mirror that I can see my whole body with. I saw so many scars lining the my back around my wings. I could easily distinguish the ones from my wings tearing through my skin and the ones made from a steady scalpel. They were all faint now, but still there.

During my time out in the country I had learned how to maneuver between trees and do loops. I was currently perched on a branch looking at wild life. I had seen a doe earlier and I almost fell out of the tree due to excitement.

It was almost getting dark and we were going to have a bonfire tonight. Melissa said we were going to make s'mores (they had to explain what it was and I thought they said snores) and anything with chocolate had to be good.

I was just crouching there admiring nature when a squirrel startled me and I fell out of the tree. I opened my wings halfway down to slow my descent but landing was still a little rough. Well, I was going to head back anyway. When I got there Sam noticed me and started laughing.

"What happened to you?!"

Grabbing my notepad off the patio table I wrote I fell out of a tree.

"I thought angels were supposed to be graceful, not clumsy."

If I talked you would hear the sarcasm oozing from my voice.

'Really'