Chapter 26

It was Monday. Emily was still in our home. My mom was taking care of her today. The police have agreed to only call me in situations they need help with. It turned out to be an okay day until lunch. Jen and Jared were tailing about the sudden disappearance of Rebel and I. Jen was the voice of reason as always.

  "Do you think they died?!" Jared stage whispered. He glanced around like his crazy theories were a secret. Jen rolled her eyes.

  "I doubt it. The police would probably have issued a press release of they did kick the bucket." I nodded along. I knew what happened but they didn't know that. I was just trying to eat when a hand slamming into the table interrupted us. It was Marcus.

  "You! What did you do to Emily?!" He leaned forward in an obvious attempt to intimidate me. He pointed an accusatory finger at me. I shook my head and went back to eating. Mid-bite I was pulled out of my seat. I fell onto my back. I heard a small crack and a small pain in my wings. I got up and faced him. A circle was starting to form around us. I saw some kids running out of the cafeteria, most likely to get help.

  "You never talk! You're like a psychopath or something! She won't respond to my calls so obviously something is keeping her from responding! I bet you kidnapped her!" He was in my face now. He was taller than me. There was a bigger crowd now. I looked at him in the eyes and spoke for the first time ever at school.

  "Maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you." His eyes widened, shocked that I actually said something. Silence permeated the air. He was not the only one who heard me. He quickly pushed me back into the table. Another shot of pain jolted through my wings. He stood over me.

  "You bitch!" He swung. His fist hit me in the mouth. I tasted the copper of blood in my mouth. He was ready to strike again when I kneed him in the crotch and swept his feet from underneath him. He fell to the floor. He squirmed there and I got up. The breath was knocked out of him. He tried to get up but I swiftly kicked him down again.

  "Stay down." He seemed to think that was a good idea because he just laid there. I looked around. A few of Marcus' friends backed away. I sat down. Jared and Jen stared at me. The principal rushed in.

  "Nothing to see here! Go to your fifth period classes!" She shooed people away. Jen and Jared gave me concerned glances on their way out. Marcus was still on the floor. She looked at him.

  "Get up Marcus." He got up slowly. He kept the principal as a physical barrier between us.

  "Raven, go home. Come back tommorow. I'll call ahead so your parents know you're coming. Marcus follow me to my office." I shook my head.

  "I need to speak to you privately." She nodded.

  "Marcus, head to my office. If you try to leave I will add that to a list of reasons for your expulsion." He nodded quickly and scurried away. She looked at me and crossed her arms.

  "You talk now?" I nodded. She sighed.

  "Why do you need to talk to me alone."

  "I have no way home. My wings were injured in our fight. I need to call someone else." I had imputed Janet's number into my phone. I can only hope she finished her training.

  "Do what you need to." The principal turned on her heel and exited the cafeteria. I shot a quick text to Janet.

  Hey there Janet! I know you're a nurse trained to handle my wings. I need you to pick me up.