Chapter 16

My first arrest was the talk of the school on Monday. Jared and Jen were excited at the prospect of the new superhero duo. Jared was hoping that Rebel and I wouldn't date. Jen was trying to figure out both our identities, luckily she was way off.

  Emily had been glancing at me a lot during first period. I couldnt help but notice her blue eyes, they way they seemed to sparkle in the sunlight. Marcus seemed to get a little jealous and would glare at me. It turns out they had started dating last week am dir felt like I was being stabbed in the chest.

  It was the beginning of lunch and I was sitting with Jared and Jen when she approached me. We hadn't really talked besides a passing greeting in the halls. She sat down next to me.

  "Hey, Baby Bird. How are you?" She greeted. Jen snickered and I shot a glare at her. I took out my notepad and started writing.

  "I'm alright. You?'

  Emily looked confused for a moment but it was gone as fast as it came.

  "I'm okay. Marcus is being a little clingy so I thought I'd come visit." then she turned to Jen. "Am I still tutoring at your place next Friday?"

  I raised an eyebrow and looked at Jen. She began to explain.

  "Jared and I absolutely suck at math but Emily has the superhuman ability to understand it, so she's going to help us once a week. You should come sometime." she explained. Emily rolled her eyes at the exaggeration of her understanding. I started writing again.

  'I'll think about it'

  We spent the rest of lunch talking about Halloween, even though it was weeks away. Jared and Jen were also planning to kidnap me after I mentioned I didn't know the show Supernatural, which apparently was what their costumes were inspired by. They wanted me to be on of their characters who was also an angel. Jared said that even if I didn't like the show I'm going to be that character whether I like it or not. Emily just laughed at me while he said this.

  Once the lunch bell rang I walked to my next class but fell when I was pushed over. I looked up to see Marcus walking away, only glancing at me once.
_______________________________________

  Later that day Rebel and I had just made our second arrest. A small-time drug dealer. He had tried to stab me with a knife but it wasn't deep, just a cut on my arm.

  We were just walking across rooftops, taking in the view of the city at night, when Rebel suggested going to the diner. I readily agreed.

  It was around 8 O'clock when we arrived, it was a small place and the waitress seating us looked surprised and didn't know what to say. There were a few tables filled and we got a secluded table a little away from the other patrons. We both ordered pancakes, but I ordered hot chocolate and he ordered coffee. It was quiet for a while until Rebel tried small talk.

  "So, can I ask you a question?" He asked. He already new my identity so I didn't know what he would ask.

  "Why did you freak out when I attacked you before, was it your first time in a fight?" He asked. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

  I opened and closed my mouth for a minute not knowing what to say. I must have looked like a fish.  I haven't talked about it since it happened, but he deserved an answer. I was about to answer when something caught my attention.