Chapter 8

The next class was American History. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even hear the teacher's name. I admit I felt butterflies whenever I saw Emily, but I hadn't thought it was love. I barely know her and yet she makes me flustered.

I sank further into my thoughts until one sentence caught my attention. "What do you think about the vigilante in the capital?"

I looked up, the teacher had pulled up a news article about it. It appeared to be a young man in black baggy pants, baggy white shirt and and a skull mask that covered the lower half of his face. There was a black snap back on his head with little blond tufts peeking out. He had a chain wrapped around each hand dragging on the floor. In short he looked menacing.

"Can anyone tell me what this vigilante has been doing to catch the attention of the press?" the teacher asked. A boy behind me answered.

"The vigilante, A.K.A. Rebel, has recently gained attention after he delivered two gang members to police along with enough evidence for trial. Also he's cute." the now obvious gay boy said. He had dark brown hair and tan skin.

This was news to me. I thought vigilantes were the stuff of comics. It actually was a good idea. 'Maybe I could be a hero.'

I looked behind me as an argument started between the boy and his seat partner.

"How would you know he's cute? You've never seen his face!" the girl whisper-yelled. She had scarlet hair and freckled skin.

"What would you know Jen!? You're asexual!" the boy retorted.

"I'm asexual, not aromantic, Jared! Get your crap straight!" Jen yelled.

"Unlike me." Jared said with a completely blank face. I started giggling under my breath. They looked over at me.

"What do you think newbie? He cute or what?" Jared asked. I stared blank at him for a few seconds, then turned around. I heard a quiet "What?" behind me.

'Maybe I could talk to Rebel.'
---------------------------------------------------------
It's been a few weeks since school had started and I had since became friends with Jared and Jen/Jennifer (they ambushed me after class asking me about Rebel to which I shrugged). They also made me a chart to explain what the LGBTQA community was, after they told me I lived under a rock. Marcus also gave me knowing smirks which made me increasingly uncomfortable.

I also found out I had to testify against Dr. Lyon. Samuel says that I can be anonymous if I choose. I didn't want to be crowded and asked uncomfortable questions so I said yes. The trial was set to be in a week and a few kids around school are already talking about it. People are saying it's the crime of the century.

I haven't been able to find Rebel. Then again I wasn't really allowed into the city alone, being as ignorant as I am.

I was currently watching the news to find out if there were sightings of Rebel when Breaking News broke and interrupted the financial segment.

"There seems to be a small plane falling over D.C.; the radio has been reportedly stopped working after the engine blew. In an earlier statement the DCPD chief reported that the plane is moving so erratically that their rescue helicopters can't get close. Stand by for more news as its happening.

This was my chance. I could save these people. I was wearing a white halter top, black jeans and black boots, but it will have to do. I quickly grabbed my black goggles off the table next to me and ran.

I dashed out of the house not bothering to tell Melissa or Samuel where I was going. I was going to be a hero.