Chapter 22

It's not everyday you come out of the closet as a superhero identity. I just left Raven's house, a peice of gay cake in my hand. I eventually realized I had no way home. So I did what I had to do. I called an uber. I was fortunate I had my wallet on me. The driver's face is one I'll never forget. I purposefully walked six blocks away. When the car pulled up the driver, a woman, was surprised. I waved at her and got in the back. Her face was spectacular. Her mouth was slightly parted and her eyebrows raised. It took her a moment to actually start driving.

"When I saw who I was picking up I thought it was a prank." She glanced at me through the rear view mirror. I shrugged.

"Fallen Angel decided to fly me to an area I don't know and abandon me. I have been betrayed!" I mockingly put my hand to my heart like I was actually wounded. The woman smiled.

"My son looks up to you, you know? He wants to be a hero too." I smiled and answered.

"Tell him he can be a hero in any profession. He doesn't have to fight." I did not want some random kid roaming the streets because of me.

"I'll tell him. Thank you." I nodded. The rest of the ride was spent in silence before I arrived in the city. I payed the woman and wished her a good day. I went home. An empty home. I backed into a vacant alley and quickly took off all the clothes that would link my identity back to Rebel. I couldn't be found out. I walked home wondering if anyone would be home. When I finally got there I didnt see a car in the driveway.

  I stood in the doorway for a while. My home almost didn't look lived in. Everything was in order. Like a model home. The front hallway leading to the den was adorned with my father's medals and war certificates. Pictures of him with different political figures. There were no pictures of our family. No pictures of my mother. Everything was taken down when she left. I couldn't be here.

  I went upstairs to my room. I grabbed an extra set of clothes and stuffed them into my back pack. I started packing food. I left again, heading into the city. No destination.
---------------------------------------------------------
  When I made it to the city it was dark out. The sun had set. I found another secluded area to change into my Rebel outfit. I climbed a fire escape. I wandered aimlessly and decided to relax by the diner. I sat on the roof of the building adjacent to the diner. I ate my cake wondering if my dad would be home quickly enough to report me missing, or if he would even notice I was gone.

  I sat there for a while. Looking at the stars. Then I heard something. Yelling. I looked into the alley where I heard the noise. It was just behind the diner. Already closed for the night. A man was mugging an employee. He looked to be using his sheer size as an intimidation tactic. I jumped down behind him and tried to be casual.

  "I'd appreciate it if you left them alone!" I shouted. The man whirled around to face me. He had a knife but I had my chains. I signaled the civilian to get out of here. The employee ran past me, hopefully away from the situation. He spoke with a gravelly voice.

  "You're going to regret that." He smiled. I studied him. He glanced behind me. Before I could turn I was hit in the temple. I fell forward and I tried to stay on my feet. Before I could react I was stabbed. I fell. I know I was bleeding but everything was hazy. I swear the men run away arguing with each other. I needed help. One thought crossed my mind.

  Raven.