Chapter 23

I had apparently fallen asleep on the couch for the rest of the night. I was awoken to the smell of pancakes however. At first I was happy, but then confused because Rebel was supposed to be bleeding out on our kitchen.

  'Did I imagine the whole thing?'

  I walked into the kitchen to find my mom making breakfast. Her eyebrows were furrowed, like she was concentrating on something difficult.

  "Mom?" I stood in the entrance looking around for any evidence Rebel was there. The kitchen table wasn't there.

  "Oh, you're awake!? I'm almost done with breakfast, we will have to eat in the den though." She went back to cooking.

  "Where'd the table go?" She glanced at me then back at the pan.

  "Your father is chopping it up. It's stained with blood." She sighed. My heart started pounding. I feared for the worst. I guess it was evident by the look on my face because my mom quickly started talking again.

  "Rebel's fine! We put her on your bed because you were already asleep in the den and that was the last bed! She made it. She's okay." I was relieved then confused.

  "Wait. Did you say she?" I looked at her waiting for her to correct herself. She nodded.

  "Wait until I finish breakfast to go see her. I need you to give her some and I don't need you waking her up." I nodded and she went back to cooking. I couldn't believe it. Rebel's a she. My Dad walked in. He must have noticed my shock.

  "Rebel's going to be fine. Mild concussion paired with a stab wound made it seem much worse than it was. You got to her in time." I patted me on the shoulder. I looked at him.

  "Do you know who she is?" Maybe she was someone we knew. Like one of my dad's co-worker's kids. He shrugged.

  "No idea. Before she passed out she said she left a bag on the roof of a building. Probably around where you found her. She might have some identification." He shrugged again. I nodded. My mom was cooking an elaborate breakfast so I had some time. Right as I was about to leave, my Dad stopped me.

  "You might want to change your shirt." I looked down to see my white shirt stiff with dried blood. My mom looked over.

  "There's some clean shirts in the drier. Keep it clean. I don't want to keep buying identical shirts." I nodded and quickly changed.
---------------------------------------------------------
  When I arrived, the alley was blocked off and a forensic team was bagging evidence. I landed on a nerdy building when I saw a black bag. It was Rebel's.

  "Hey! What are you doing up there?" I looked to find a detective glaring up on me.

  "I'm retrieving something! No one died here by the way!" He beckoned me to come down into the alley. I slung the backpack around my shoulder and glided down.

  "How do you know, huh? There's a lot of blood here. Body was obviously moved." He had a hand on his hip.

  "It was Rebel. That's his blood. I don't know what happened. All I know is that Rebel was stabbed and wouldn't go to a hospital. He's in my care." He looked at me like I grew a second head. Then he put his hand on my shoulder

  "Don't tell anyone else what happened. We don't want the media to know he's out of action." I nodded and took off.
---------------------------------------------------------
  My mom was almost done with breakfast when I arrived at home. There was enough food to feed a small army. I settled in the den. Combing through the backpack I found no identification. I did find my mom's Tupperware, some clothes, and some food. I heard a shout from the kitchen

  "Food's ready!" I grabbed a tray an filled it with all the food my mom made. I knocked on the bedroom door and stepped in and put the food on the desk. It was dark because the curtains were closed. I heard movement.

  "Are you awake?" I received a groan in response.

  "Can I turn on the lights?" Another groan. I turned on the lights and looked at Rebel. It was someone I definitely knew.

  "Holy shit. It's you."