Chapter 15

I bet we turned a lot of heads walking into the station. We obviously had been a fight with bruises visible on our faces. The secretary looked really surprised and a few criminals looked confused. Rebel walked right up to the desk and set down the papers. I sat down in the waiting area. There wasn't any one else on the bench so I could stretch out my wings.

  I saw Rebel ask for a pen and the dazed secretary hand him one. He looked back at me.

  "Hey, what if I want to keep my identity secret?" He was maneuvering the pen between his fingers.

  "Write it down, but we have to contact you somehow." I didn't know how this was going to work.

  "I'll buy a burner phone or something." He scribbled something down. He then tucked a paper unto his back pocket and walked towards me. He handed me the packet and sat down next to me.

  "I didn't get to eat dinner, you want to go get something?" I looked at him incredulously. He didn't even look at me.

  "There's this twenty-four hour diner nearby. Great pancakes." He looked at this time. I was thinking about it pancakes sounded great.

  "They're my treat. Since I attacked you and everything." He said the last part quietly. I tend to eat a lot because flying takes a lot of energy and I had no money.

  "In that case let's go. Lead the way!" I dragged him to his feet. We waved to the secretary on the way out and started walking.

  It was dark out. There were a few people out but the streets were mostly deserted.

  "It's only about two blocks away." He said. I was trailing behind him with my wings resting against my back and open slightly. Then there was a scream.

  I bolted to the alley I was sure it came from, Rebel followed close behind. What we saw was a classic mugging. The man was closing in on the woman and he was holding a gun. Rebel threw a chain at the man and it wrapped around his forearm. He yanked it and the gun went off, luckily it wasn't pointed at anyone. The gun clattered to the floor and I kicked it away from him. I stood between the man and the gun.

  "Sir, lay on your stomach and put your hands on your head." I said. I tried to be as stern as possible.

  He did as he was told, a sneer on his face as he went. I looked over at Rebel to see he was comforting the woman. Quickly restraining the man I recited his rights.

  We walked out of the alley and I sat the man down on the curb. Rebel tapped me on the shoulder and gestured to the woman.

  "Am I-I allowed to leave?" She asked. She looked shaken up.

  "Sorry ma'am, the police need to write a report," then I turned to the man, "it wasn't a good idea to mug someone near a police station buddy."

  I got out my phone and called the station.
---------------------------------------------------------
  After the police had arrived the man tried to bolt but he didn't get very far.

  Just after the police drove off I got a text on my phone. It was from Sam asking where I was.

  I looked over at Rebel who was waiting patiently few feet away.

  "I'm going to have to take a rain check on those pancakes, alright?" He nodded and ran off into an alley.

  I unfurled my wings and took to the sky, letting the bright moon guide my way, then a thought crossed my mind.

  'How am I going to explain these bruises?'