Chapter 21

I keep sprinting on the diagonal of the Union Jacks we're doing at practice. Somehow an end of practice conditioning turned into a battle between Emma and I, like it always does. 

"How long have they been going at it?" Christine asks Crystal as I come to the corner. 

I stop for a second to take off my tank top since its dripped in sweat. I look over my shoulder to see Emma catching up, I start my jog up the width while Emma sprints it. 

"First one to finish this Union Jack wins." Jim states, obviously getting tired of Emma and I. 

I sprint the end of the width and run the diagonal even faster, Emma is about halfway behind me. I jog the last width again, Emma keeps on sprinting not slowing down. Once we get to the corner to run the diagonal we're neck and neck. 

"Go Riley!" Crystal yells. "You can take her."

I smile as I sprint as fast as I can and reach the corner a good 5 seconds before Emma. Ali hands me a water while I walk around catching my breath and trying to stop on coming cramps. 

"You killed it." Ali says patting me on the back. 

"Thanks" I tell her in between drinks of water. 

"Honestly Emma why do you keep competing against her? She's so much faster." Cali, the rookie, asks Emma.

"Because I need the competition." Emma says looking me right in the eyes.

"Alright ladies great practice today! Go home and rest up, we have a big game tomorrow. Arrive here around 5 tomorrow please." Jim tells us. 

"Before you all head back to the locker room, Riley we have something for you." Ali tells me going over and grabbing a gift bag for a baby.

I smile and shake my head when I open it and find red, white, and blue Spirit onesies along with a mini soccer ball. 

"Aww guys this is too cute. Thank you!"

"We expect Flynn wearing one when we meet him." Tori says.

"Of course he will be!!!"

"Alright go home and shower before my nephew gets there!" Ali tells me pushing me towards my stuff.

I'm sitting in the family room for one last peaceful moment before Flynn arrives. Kyle is downstairs making sure everything is perfect in our finished basement. I turn on the TV to watch an episode of Say Yes to the Dress right as Kyle joins me in the family room.

"How come you didn't want to be on the show?" He questions as he watches.

"I didn't really want everyone knowing what dresses I tried on and how they looked and how they should've looked."

"Since you looked beautiful in your dress, I'm assuming you looked beautiful in every other one." 

"Well aren't you a charmer." I tell him and he pulls me into a kiss. 

Right as we break from the kiss, the doorbell rings.

We both jump up and walk to the door. I take a deep breath and open up the door to see Janice standing there holding Flynn with a smile on her face.

"Hey guys" She says as she walks in and offers Flynn to me.

"How are you?" I ask.

"Not too shabby. I have a few papers to sign and then I'll be out of your hair." Janice tell us.

"Here lemme take the bag." Kyle states gesturing to the small duffel bag on her shoulder.

"Thank you, there's all the clothes in there from his foster family. There's also his favorite blanket and stuffed animal."