Chapter Two

“Simeon!” Anna almost smacked the five-year-old upside his little, blonde head. "Either you stop shoving crayons down your throat, or I put you in a timeout.”

Caught like a deer in a set of headlights, Simeon yanked the drawing media from his stained lips and began writing out his letters like the sweet, little boy she knew he was. Smoothing out his mussed curls, she made her circuit around the large room, making sure not to step over the scattered puzzle pieces, marbles, and rainbow bricks made of cardboard that were scattered on the thin carpet.

Bright yellow, green, and blue, the walls were cluttered with maps, counting systems, and different cartoons that encouraged her class to eat their vegetables and play outside. The wooden tables could generously seat eight children each, the three tables providing enough space in the middle for the students' rest time.

Anna looked at the clock. 11:55, exactly thirty-five minutes until that blessed period of time in which she got to call Hunter. His father, a wealthy financial advisor who used to work at his very own business right next to Al's Pizza Pit, had taken Hunter under his wing immediately after he had graduated from college at twenty-four. Now, three years later, Hunter would always be going off on his business trips that lasted for days at a time.

She hated not being able to see him, but just the thought of hearing his voice had her growing giddy in anticipation. For three years they had been together. Having broken up at the end of high school, she hadn't seen or heard from him in six years, and then, he had come back to Napolm and had immediately taken her out for a friendly dinner. The single dinner had turned into more time spent together, until they had built – what she felt to be – a very solid relationship.

“Ms. Simmons," a little girl with missing teeth said, yanking on her floral skirt.

“Yes, Leesha?”

Always the conniving negotiator, Leesha asked, “Can we go to lunch early today? The lunch ladies like it better when there isn't such a big crowd that are eating all at once.”

Anna looked at the clock, not wanting to deny the girl anything. “I - well, we can go after everything is cleaned up, okay?”

“Okay." She nodded and began instructing everybody to tear down the large, brick wall that had recently been constructed.

Watching all of the kindergarteners work in unison to achieve a common goal, Anna couldn't help but hum along to a silent song. She loved her class. Each and every student was unique, him or her bringing a unique set of characteristics that would be expanded and developed as they each learned more and more.

Susceptible to Leesha's kind pleading, the bell tone rang loudly throughout the entire school, alerting all nine grades in the elementary building that lunch was beginning. Getting in alphabetical order quickly, her kindergarten class looked to her with expectant and bright eyes.

“What are we going to say to the lunch ladies?” she asked, opening up her classroom door.

Thank you!” they all shouted at once and followed her down the waxed hallway to the cafeteria that was also their gymnasium in the free hours.

Her own stomach grumbled in response to the smell of salad, pastas, and the fresh fruits that were served in different varieties every day. She felt like a little kid again as the lunch ladies scooped some chicken and salad onto her tray, a half cup of mandarin oranges following shortly after. Calling her name from behind her, the other teachers were all at their table, watching their classes and talking animatedly with one another.

Black flats tapping on the wooden floor, she made her way over to them before sitting down next to Samantha Davies, the first grade teacher and one of her closest friends. Short, brunette curls accentuated her friend's tan face and innocent brown eyes that would make anyone drop to their feet and beg.