Chapter Twelve

“Kalie,” Anna explained for what felt like the millionth time, “I don't need another dress. You wore Mom's, and I'm about the same size. I don't have time to go shopping for one that won't even fit!”

She could practically feel her older sister rolling her eyes on the other end of the line. “Fine, but if it's because you don't have enough money, I can always lend you-”

“Nope.” Anna shook her head, looking over to where Titus was writing down the list of those who would and would not be attending, almost all of the invitations having been returned.

“You really do love it, don't you?”

“Of course. Mom wore it. You wore it. Now, I have to. It's a tradition. So, are you coming today or-”

“I'll be over in a few hours. Brayden,” Anna's older sister mentioned her own husband of six years, “has been out picking flowers all day. We should have enough to do all of the embellishments and such for the tables and the pews at the wedding.”

“Thank you so much, Kalie!”

“No prob, lil' sis. Your nephew misses you by the way.”

Warmth surged through Anna at the mention of her four-year-old nephew, Ashton, the memory of the little guy and his absurd questions causing her to tear up again. After talking about a few other plans and steps of the wedding, she said one last good-bye to her sister and hung up the cell phone.

A chuckle from across the room snapped her gaze to where Titus was still yapping away on the phone with who she assumed to be Taivon, and then the call ended. Like how she always saw him, the creases of his face were formed into that of a large grin, laughter bubbling out of that smart mouth.

A flash of white caught her eye then, reminding her that the bandage needed to be changed soon. Stark white and contrasting sharply with his skin, gauze was wrapped all around his muscled forearm, a slight tinge of yellow from having not been changed for over a day beginning to form at the ends. Leave it to Titus to completely forget about a serious wound on himself.

Not wanting to interrupt his phone call, Anna padded out of his living room and into the bathroom where she finally managed to find a fresh roll of clean gauze and a bottle of antiseptic. Crouched on the cold tiled floor, she could still hear him talking excitedly about the wedding. He sounded genuinely happy – like this was the real thing.

She smiled too. Still feeling relaxed and actually confident in the few years ahead, Anna understood why he was so happy. She still got to teach. Her child would have a loving home. And she'd still get to see Titus everyday while in Napolm. If it weren't for the memories of Hunter that were sometimes stirred, it would practically be heaven on earth.

“Hey.” The very same man stuck his head into the bathroom, concern flashing across his face. “You feelin' alright?”

“Never better,” she replied, smiling until he smiled back with that toothy grin of his. “How's your arm?”

He looked down absentmindedly at the white section, playing around with the frayed ends. “Oh, this? Just fine.”

“Take it off.”

His face reddened. “What?”

“Not your clothes,” Anna laughed, rolling her eyes at the red crawling up his tanned neck. “The bandage. I'll re-dress, and then it'll stop stinging so much.”

Nodding his head, he left the bathroom and walked into the kitchen, booted feet thumping loudly against the floorboards. He sat down on the chair with a disgruntled huff and glare at his ringing phone. He had probably received more calls today than he had in his entire life. She too was feeling the pain, her cell phone reminding her as it vibrated on the countertop.