Chapter Three

“Anna!” Titus cried from the bathroom, adjusting and readjusting his infernal, black tie.

Very much like the rest of his clothes, it was a little stiff and scratchy at having not been worn in so long. Made out of plain cotton, the gray dress shirt was tight around his shoulders, the darker gray, dress pants feeling very foreign against legs that were so accustomed to ragged jeans. He hated having to get all dressed up for an event he didn't even want to go to.

“Yes?” Anna popped her head in a second later, long red hair swaying over bare, white shoulders.

Fumbling around with the black tie, he said, “Tie this for me.”

He took deep breaths, making sure to not become too distracted by her. Dressed in a form-fitting, black dress that accentuated all of her curves and her slim waist, she looked stunning. The dress itself had ruffles that looked almost metallic, matching well with the silver of her high heels. Just keep breathing, Cantrell.

“Only if you zip me, Mr. I-can't-tie-a-tie-for-my-life." She smiled, taking long steps until she was standing right before him.

“Ain't my fault. I haven't worn clothes like this since...” Titus trailed off, remembering the very last time he had worn something other than his work clothes.

Tawson's funeral.

What felt like years since his oldest brother's death was actually only three months. Born with Down syndrome and a congenital heart disease, Tawson Cantrell had lived a happy life of forty-seven, love filled years. Although fifteen years younger, Titus could still remember Tawson's toothy smile as he worked on a puzzle or played baseball outside with them when they had been younger.

Not a day had gone by that Tawson hadn't hugged each and everyone of them, always making sure to hold on really tight with his pudgy arms. But those pudgy arms that they had all loved to hold and be held in were dead now, just as dead as the owner himself. That special man had always had the uncanny ability to resolve any dispute with his simple assumptions and conclusions.

“It's okay.” Anna cupped the side of his face with her silky palm, snapping him back out of his daze. “He's in a better place.”

“I know." He pointed to the dangling piece of useless fabric, trying to keep any more of the familiar hurt from filling his chest.

With deft fingers, Anna picked up the black garment, soon making precise knots and twists with it as he inhaled her sweet, citrus scent. Her eyes, sky blue as they had ever been, glowed with concentration, shining from his upstair bathroom's warm light. Hands itching to just touch her, Titus resisted the urge like he had been doing for the past years and just waited out the sweet, torture session until it ended all too soon.

“There." She grinned, smoothing out the lines of his shirt. "You look as handsome as ever.”

More handsome than Hunter James? the question almost slipped out of his mouth, but he kept it inside and watched as she turned obediently with the back of her dress hanging open slightly. His hands shook with a fierce desire that was common whenever he came upon the prospect of touching her, but Titus somehow managed to latch his fingers onto the small, black zipper.

The silence was broken as the zipper traveled a long path up her small but long back. His fingers just barely brushed against her smooth skin, and a jolt of need pumped through his system until all he could think about was finally taking her. He had waited for so, so long, and even though his need and hunger for Anna built each day, he could never ruin their friendship for something as menial as sex.

“You ready?” Anna turned around, twirling that luxurious hair of hers like she always did when she was nervous.

“As I'll ever be.”