Chapter Thirty-Six

Like so many nights before, Anna managed to fall asleep in a bed that felt cold and empty. She tossed and she turned as she dreamed about being surrounded by the warmth that was Titus, but when she woke up, it was to the exact same thing – sheets and a quilt devoid of the man that she had slept so soundly next to.

Feeling chilled to the bone, Anna donned a thick hoodie and went through her morning routine like it was any other day. She showered, brushed her teeth, put on clothes appropriate for the chilly January weather, and plodded back into the kitchen where Titus's back was turned to her as he mixed something within a bowl in quick, hurried movements.

And just like all the mornings after their families had left, he was only dressed in the dark blue striped pajama pants. His bare back was revealed to her, the muscles that she found there flexing with every whipping movement he make.

Feeling her face flush again, Anna sat down at the island table a few feet away from him. “'Mornin',” she said, watching his face that was filled with concentration.

“Hey.” Titus flashed her a warm smile before looking back down at his work, ingredients for his delicious red velvet cupcakes spread out all over the island.

“Titus,” Anna said. “Can we have cupcakes for breakfast?”

Usually always one for eating a healthy breakfast that was laden with protein or some other nutrient that cupcakes most certainly did not have, Titus did the unexpected and nodded his head. “'Course. I figure it's nutritious enough as long as we drink some milk.”

In answer, she went to the refrigerator to pull out the half gallon of skim milk, pouring a large glass for him and a smaller glass for her. She drank it leisurely, allowing her stomach to adjust while Titus just chugged his down and slid it over for a second serving. She poured another before putting away the milk and sitting next to Titus again.

He drank it more slowly this time, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. The action entranced her. The light trace of white milk above his thin upper lip looked goofy and then not so much as his tongue licked it all right up.

Anna diverted her gaze and talked about their upcoming appointment as Titus put the tray of cupcake batter into the oven and sat down next to her at the table. Even with him talking and laughing lightly with her, the house seemed much more quiet than she was used to, especially since their hectic Christmas when both of their families had been occupying it.

“You nervous?” he asked, sitting back down after having checked on the cupcakes.

She took a good heavy inhale of baked goods, finding that her nerves were instantly alleviated. “Not so much anymore. Cupcakes always make it better.”

“So do iPhones.” He held his up right in her face before the sound of what was most definitely a picture being taken went off. “Perfect,” he said.

“Another one?” she asked and held out her hand for the phone. The man was making it a habit to take pictures of her whenever she was at her worst.

He handed it to her, smiling a sheepish grin that looked absolutely darling on this big, tough man. Scrolling through the pictures that were literally almost all of her either eating something, coming back from the gym all sweaty, or just doing everyday activities, Anna tried not to laugh at the last one he had just taken of her.

With one eye slightly closed because she had been about to blink, she looked like a drunkard as her mouth was just beginning to form her previous words. It wasn't nearly as intense as the one he had set as his background. That one was a close up of just her face as she laughed a hideous laugh with a dab of fruitcake sticking to the corner of her mouth.