Chapter Forty-Eight

“Isn't this one just adorable?” His mother held out another tiny sleepsuit, speaking more to the sleeping baby girl in his arms than to him.

Titus looked up at the light blue onesie that had Ipood on it, just above the little disc thing of the original iPods. He smiled, humoring his mother and her recent purchases. Neatly folded and stacked on a pale green chair was the pile of brand new onesies and sleepsuits. Tiny, tiny socks, a few hats, and all of the necessities that the hospital had given them were right next to the small clothes, right in front of the brand new car seat.

His mother and Thrane had left the hospital room three hours ago to go clothes shopping. She had come back to the hospital after everybody had left to go by the Circle T. With three shopping bags full of clothes and diapers, Tina Cantrell had certainly been on a mission when she had came back into the hospital, not even bothering to answer his question about where Thrane had went. Titus still had a sinking suspicion that she had left his little brother at the store

“And then there's this one...” Ma held up another one that had some witty saying about how Ella spent nine months on the inside.

Not wanting to ruin her happy mood by tell the grandma that Ella had been inside Anna for less than that, he just shifted his attention to the little bundle in his arms. Wearing a thin, pink sleepsuit that covered her entire body, Ella looked to be the most comfortable baby in the world. He adjusted her propped, sleeping head, not able to take his eyes off their little girl.

She had been sleeping ever since he had changed her diaper only an hour ago. With her eyelids covering large, blue eyes and her mouth open and drooling onto his arm, Ella Kaylin Cantrell was the most beautiful baby he had ever laid eyes on. Her skin was now at a normal tone, instead of the angry red she had been earlier yesterday morning, when she had been born. Her arms and legs fidgeted every now and then as she slept, kicking into a chest that literally swam with clogged emotion with every movement she made.

“Yeah,” he cooed, feeling right at the baby tone of his voice, “Mommy's gonna be out soon, okay? And then we can go home, and everybody will get to see you.”

After a shitload of sanitizer, he reminded himself, not wanting any germs to be introduced to her newborn immune system. And even then, after everybody had washed their hands, he still wasn't going to allow anybody, spare for a few, to hold their baby. Titus could still feel the goopy, clean smelling stuff as he had doused it on his hands and wrists, right before picking up Ella after she had been transferred from the NICU and into Anna's room just this morning. If one of his brothers so much as looked at their baby without his permission, he didn't know what he was going to do.

As if actually trying to respond to his goofy sounding words, Ella opened up her eyes, revealing dark, dark blues. Her nose scrunched just the tiniest bit, and she waved her hands around. Feet kicking wildly at his arm, she was either a very excited or a very grump girl, her moods being something he would learn in time.

He lifted her small body up, cradling a hat covered head that was smaller than his palm. She had been like this last night, struggling in his arms as they tried to do the whole kangaroo care thing, like the doctors had told them. And just like last night, she squirmed and squirmed, stopping only when he stood up and began walking around.

“Good girl,” he said in the most gentle voice. “You like walking around with me, huh?” Titus kissed her forehead. “Yeah, me and Mommy will walk around with you all the time, just as soon as we get back home.”

“I can't wait,” Anna said from where she had just emerged from the room's bathroom.

She wore baggy sweatpants and one of his t-shirts. Her hair was pulled back in a clean, messy bun, looking damp from the shower she had just taken. Walking over to his wife, Titus held their baby out to her, wanting to hold Ella together, just like they had done last night when both of his girls had fallen asleep on him.