Chapter Twenty-Three

“Ugh,” Anna groaned. “Are we almost done yet?”

Titus didn't even look her way, only continuing to stay hunched over at the table where he was writing out the thank you cards. He was probably regretting having put off the opening of gifts until now. She didn't blame him; she had been working on it all day and even when he had started helping about a half hour ago, it still didn't seem to go any faster.

First, they had to read the cards, open the presents, catalog who gave what, organize all of the envelopes so the addresses wouldn't have to be looked up once again, and then write out at least two sentences minimum with cramped hands and dried up pens. It was more of a curse than a gift, especially when she remembered some of the gifts a few, select people had given them.

Thrane, for example, had felt it necessary to give them something that would spice up anybody's marriage life. A huge, fake penis and four vats of lube. Thankfully, she had hunted down his gift right away, before Titus had been done working early today. The items were safely at the bottom of the very full trash bag that was currently sitting right next to her.

“No,” Titus finally replied. “We're not even halfway through with everything yet.” He turned to her, eyes looking a little glazed over. “Why are people so freakin' nice?”

“Who do they think they are?”

“Giving us nice things and stuff?”

“The monsters.”

Chuckling, he turned back to his letter writing, right hand scribbling down words that both the writer and the recipient knew were just artificial and produced in a factory-like fashion. She, in turn, took another wrapped box from the gift mountain and unwrapped it, taking out an umbrella and a coffee cup. These gifts – the last ones that had been shoved in the back of the basement's corner – were the ones from people they didn't know all too well.

The important, most influential people, like their parents, family members, and closer friends, had been placed right on the pool table and had been opened first. Sets of exquisite China that would only be used on very, very special occasions were from Mr. and Mrs. Cantrell along with an ordinary set of white plates, and metal utensils that were meant to replace the scratched up cutlery and tableware Titus currently had.

She supposed it was all for the best though, especially when Titus's side of the family was coming over this Friday and staying throughout the weekend for Thanksgiving and for Callie's birthday. It had been a cold splash of awakening when he had told her all about the event that she was nowhere near ready for. She had never spent an entire three and a half days with the entire Cantrell family in a single house.

Anna would just be lucky if she made it out alive. Mr., Mrs., Titus, Thrane, Taivon, Trace, Tobias, Jane, and Callie all in one household like the strong yet sometimes crazed family that they could be sometimes. She could still remember all the rivalries that would come out to be known whenever they had that baseball game.

“What time is it?” she asked, writing down the name, address, and content information.

Titus checked his phone. “Almost four.”

“Shoot.” Anna stood up immediately, working extra fast to stuff wrapping paper and envelopes into the trash bags.

He knotted the black bag's strings together in quick, sure movements. “What's wrong?”

“The game!” she explained, beyond exasperated. “The Cowboys and Giants game that I've been waiting all day for! It started already!”

“I hope they get killed.”

Anna rolled her eyes, trying not to get caught up in the heated debate that always came up whenever she watched a Cowboys' game. “But you hate the Giants.”