Chapter Seventeen

“Ladies and gentleman,” one of their stewardesses said over the intercom, “we will be landing shortly. Please, buckle up your seat belts.”

Anna clicked the buckle in place, tightening it accordingly. She looked at Titus's unbuckled waist and then at his sleeping form. Hunched over and neck exposed with his face turned away from her and resting against the hard, beige wall, he had been out the minute they had gotten in the air. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison was being held lightly, the novel's size being dwarfed by Titus's large hands.

Not wanting to wake him up until it was absolutely necessary, Anna slowly reached over to the opposite side of his seat. She managed not to touch him, arm kept at an awkward angle as her fingers brushed against the belt's tough fabric. Face at his chest, Anna finally got the belt and clasped the other end on her side.

Titus stirred lightly, mumbling something under his breath before falling back again. She breathed a sigh of relief, feeling quite tired herself but still clipping the metal together until it was secure at his waist.

Nobody else in the plane said anything louder than a hushed whisper, keeping them in silence that had stayed with him before the jet had even taken off. A few lights from phones shone brightly in the area, and thankfully, not a single one awakened Titus.

As the plane began its descent, Anna ignored the sudden nervousness in the pit of her stomach and focused on not feeling sick. She checked her phone. It still hadn't adjusted to the time zone change. What was one in the morning back in Texas was two o'clock in Florida, the state they would be staying in for a week.

With a slight shudder, their jet finally made contact with the paved ground. For its large size, the jet slowed down very gracefully, not lurching forward but just eventually stopping. The overhead lights came on, and Anna cringed as she heard Titus groan from beside her.

He finally raised his head, one side looking mussed while the other was neat from not having been slept on for three ours. Still looking tired, his eyes squinted against the bright light, moving over every object in the plane until they came to land on her.

Titus smiled, running a hand through his unkempt, short hair. “Hey. We done flyin' yet?”

“Yup. Landed about two seconds ago,” she replied and began to pack all of their things into her small, carry-on bag.

One by one, everybody squeezed through the small aisle, everybody looking worse than half dead. Feeling half dead herself, Anna followed them, thanking the flight attendants as she and Titus exited the walkway to the baggage claim area.

The cold of the floor managed to through her flip flops with every step they took on the waxed, gray floor. With fluorescent lights casting their harsh glow on black seats and white walls, this airport clearly hadn't been refurbished like the other one. Along with bright, vending machines, a few potted plants stood here and there, but other than that, this place was dead.

The belt of the baggage claim area ground roughly against its metal bumpers. Only a few suitcases and duffel bags were on the black strip, her suitcases and Titus's black duffel spotted quickly. Anna quickly grabbed her suitcase, knowing that Titus would insist to take it for her. She wouldn't let him. Just by the way his movements were jerky and stiff as he hoisted his duffel over a broad shoulder, she could tell that his back was hurting him once again.

Anna didn't even attempt to take the bag from him, for she knew that he would never allow it. Instead, she just walked side by side with him as they found their bus stop. They were on the 2:15 trip that would be stopping at another area that was only a block from their hotel, the Buena Vista.