Chapter Sixteen

“Oh, my goodness.” Anna moaned more to herself than to Titus, the sweet tang of pasta carbonara doing amazing things to her taste buds.

Twirling more of the noodles against her fork, she inhaled the scent of Parmesan cheese, fresh tomatoes, and lightly seasoned chicken. It was a very intriguing combination – especially when one, like herself, paired the pasta dish with the garlic and sage bread. Anna ate slowly; she simply didn't ever want this meal to end.

She looked over to where Titus was stuffing down more of the pasta carbonara. Dressed in a tux that she had only ever seen him in a handful of times, he sure did look handsome. It hurt her to think that this was going to be him on his actual wedding that would take place some years from now, but she pushed the thought away and simply just admired her closest friend. His blonde hair looked soft in the warm light of River Falls' reception hall, his thin goatee looking neat and trimmed as always.

Her heart sped up a little bit as she remembered why she was here, why he was here with her. This was their wedding reception – the reception they had gone to after taking pictures in front of the church with the bridesmaids and groomsmen. Titus had been perfect throughout it all, playing the part of the lovestruck husband perfectly.

She could still remember the way he had lifted and twirled her in his arms as Bradeyn had taken photo after photo. They had only had to kiss a few times underneath a fall tree and beside the small pond of River Falls before the pictures had been finished. It hadn't taken long to drive the ten minutes to River Falls, where cocktail hour had been busier, and the dinner – she realized as she scanned the room – was even more packed.

People. Everywhere. Dressed in their best suits, dresses, or church attire, everybody was looking fit for the day. The chatter among the large group filled the entire room that was almost as spacious as the Bethany church.

Polished, wooden floors gleamed in the warm light that came from the humble lights on the eggshell-painted ceiling. The walls themselves were a teal blue that made the orange theme decorating the space pop out vividly against the deep color. With the ability to seat eight people, circular tables were everywhere in the room except for the dance floor. They were all covered with vased, orange flowers that she didn't know the name of, bringing just enough color to the white, linen tablecloths.

With the exception of being rectangular in form, her and Titus's table was very much like the guests. A larger vase of the bright, sweet-smelling flowers was right in the center, angled just right so that their view of the hall wouldn't at all be blocked. To the right were her bridesmaids and parents; to the left, Titus's groomsmen, father, and mother.

They were by far the loudest table in the entire room. Thrane was shouting something over the raucous of others, recounting some story or other of his teaching days. Laughing lightly at the captivated expressions on the other Cantrells' faces, she delighted in the way the entire family was so close, all talking with one another like they always did.

Her family was just like that, and Anna knew that that sort of bond was special when it came to couples who had been married for almost forty-five years. It was a comforting fact that promised of a happy, caring future with Titus and her baby. She knew for a fact that he would always be there for her, and that in itself was enough to make Anna place all her trust in her recently wedded husband.

Loud clinking from somewhere within the crowd managed to resound throughout the entire area. It was soon joined by more people tapping metal utensils against their glasses. Cringing, Anna tried to calm her elevated heart rate, attempting to cool her abnormally warm body. She had been feeling warm ever since the deep kiss she and Titus had shared during the wedding ceremony.