'Defence Against The Dark Arts'

Above: "MINDSHIFT - MOTIVATIONAL VIDEO" Shown in the class

A/N: I can't remember what house Dorcas Meadows was put in, so I've just put her into Gryffindor for now. I would look it up but my internet's acting up and I don't want to risk losing this chapter (my computer's that jacked up it just deletes everything if I open a new page, no matter if this one is still open)

- Lily -

I guess the only good thing about all the taster sessions happening for the next three days is that we get a chance to see who's in our class - or as Sirius puts it: new people to prank and pissed off by. The sessions are simply where you go to the classes we'll be studying for our final year, spend an hour or so doing an activity that we will end up doing in the actual lesson and getting to know the class. It also gives the Sixth formers (both Upper and Lower) to drop and gain some subjects if we want to. 

The first sessions is Humanities Studies - which no one picked but is a compulsory subject, even if there is no exam at the end of the year. The classroom is in one of the towers, so it's circular and the tables are placed in a circle around the walls. There's fifteen of us in here: including myself, Marlene, Dory, James, Peter and Sirius. We're the only Gryffindors alongside the three Ravenclaws, four Slytherins and two Hufflepuffs.

"Right guys, let's settle down now." Our teacher, Professor Ames, is a pretty tall blonde man who's kitted out in a sweatshirt and jeans. He looks young, as if he's just graduated University and Marlene's already gotten a crush on him. The guys around the room looked pleased when he came in seeing as the other teachers we've caught a glimpse at look old and grumpy. 

I slid off Mar's desk that I was sat on and into my seat beside her. Everyone's in non-uniform so Marlene had taken it upon her to draw doodles on my white trainers with her different coloured Sharpies. 

"So," Professor Ames lent against the front of his desk which is situated between two students', helping to form the circle itself, "Who can tell me what subjects form Humanities? Parker give me one!"

Andrew Parker's a Ravenclaw who has the bluest eyes anyone has ever seen. "Erh... History?"

"Bingo! Danny, another one if you please." 

"Philosophy." 

Marlene lent over towards me and whispered: "Can you tell he's a Ravenclaw, who the fuck even knows what Philosophy is?"

"McKinnon," Marlene snapped back up as Professor gave her a smile, "Any more?"

"Human culture?" Marlene guessed, kicking my shin when I grinned at her because seriously? 

"Great!" Professor spun round and faced James and Sirius who've both stayed sitting on the desks; Sirius even going as far as to cross his legs and bring out a small ball made out of rubber bands. He's been bouncing it on the floor and then catching it again for the past five minutes.

"Mr Potter," He drawled his name out and smiled. James looked up and raised an eyebrow, "Think of any more, James?"

James shrugged. "Any other lesson that's boring and a waste of everyone's time?"

The class laughed, and even Professor Ames chuckled. "You think it's boring?"

"Yeah," James nodded, "I mean... History: already happened, gone, in the past. I get it, we can learn from our mistakes and not make them again," Cue the eye roll, "But I'm more interested in my future. Philosophy: that's pretty just school anyway. Human Culture is just Religious Studies. I mean, come on, I didn't put any of this down on my form when I joined Sixth Form; why am I being forced to learn this now?"