Bloody Mary

BLOODY MARY: The Folklore Legend

According to Wikipedia,

"A Bloody Mary is a popular cocktail containing vodka, tomato juice, and usually other spices or flavorings such as Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, piri piri sauce, beef consommé or bouillon, horseradish, celery, olive, sal-" Oh sorry! Wrong page, damn it....

Now back to the real thing, the story of Bloody Mary has been something that I've been hearing since childhood. And the catch is, I've never heard the same story twice. Currently, I've heard of around 10-12 stories of Bloody Mary's origin, so If I hear one more, I am going to forget my name. I've done my fair share of reading up, and I can tell you that these websites are worse than my friends because they don't even have an Idea what they're talking about! I unfortunately stumbled upon a website that read, "The story of Bloody Mary came into being when a drunkard killed his wife with shards of glass from a broken bottle. She was bleeding all over but still ran out to the street, her neighbors pointed at her while some called her bloody and others called her Mary (her name). What was my name again? Are you serious? Like really, dude! This was the most dumbest thing I've seen since Twilight!

To those who are still confused about the story or has no Idea what I'm talking about, it goes like this. (Courtesy of Wikipedia~ Most reliable source!)

"Bloody Mary is a folklore legend consisting of a ghost or spirit conjured to reveal the future. She is said to appear in a mirror when her name is called multiple times. The Bloody Mary apparition may be benign or malevolent, depending on historic variations of the legend.

Historically, the ritual encouraged young women to walk up a flight of stairs backwards while holding a candle and a hand mirror, in a darkened house. As they gazed into the mirror, they were supposed to be able to catch a view of their future husband's face. There was, however, a chance that they would see a skull (or the face of the Grim Reaper) instead, indicating that they were destined to die before they married......."

Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(folklore)

This is actually much less gruesome than the stories that I've heard. I am having an intuition that you want to know what I've heard, right? I will tell you the first time I came to know about Bloody Mary. Here you go...

(Courtesy of my whacky friends~Extremely unreliable source)

It started of like this......

"Did you hear about that boy?"-Whacky friend no.1 (W.F:1 )

"Which boy?"- Poor me (P.M)

"You mean, the one that was winking at me?" - Whacky friend no.2 (W.F:2)

"Ew, no! I've better things to talk about..."- W.F:1

"Yeah, Right.."-P.M

"Whatever, my brother told me that, yesterday a boy was stabbed in the heart with a knife that flew through the window. Police thinks it must be a murderer. But we know very well that he called Bloody Mary at night. He had told my brother himself."- W.F:1

"He woke from the dead and told your brother? Oh My God!"-W.F:2

"What the heck?" -P.M

"No, Silly! He told it before he did the ritual."-W.F:1

"Ritual?"- P.M

"Yeah, I'll tell you the whole thing..."-W.F:1 And then she marched off into a story of how there was a princess called Mary, who had a deadly disease which caused her to basically sweat blood(Ew, gross...) But poor little Mary was in love with a prince who had come to visit her dad, the king. Bedridden Mary had heard all about the handsome prince from her servants. She asked them to carry a letter to prince which asked him to come to her bedroom (Uh- oh.)The prince excited to meet Mary sneaked out at night to meet her. He opened the bedroom door and walked inside. It was a little dark. He turned around and around and accidentally stood in front of a mirror (Wait, what?). He slowly called out her name, three times. Mary was having one of her blood sweating bouts and was feeling hesitant in showing herself but still came and stood behind him. The prince looked towards the mirror and saw a girl covered top to toe with blood (yeah dude, it's our Mary), he screamed and called her a monster and ran out (So much for being a prince, huh?). Heartbroken Mary vowed to kill anyone who turned round and round and called her name three times in front of the mirror at night (That's it?)."

I've heard many more variations that are all the more stupid. If you were thinking if I actually believed the story, I admit that I did. I was just a gullible sixth grader with crazy friends. I know that most of you might just try this out, but I am warning you, you may just never know if it's true or not.

Have you heard any Blood Mary stories? Share it with us!

XoxBrightNightxox signing out!