Truly honest critiques

A Critic's Nightmare (Halloween isn't the only scary thing that sends us critics shrieking)

By Sage Monroe

As a critic, I face monumental grammar, punctuation and syntax issues. I understand these mistakes- it is easy for a writer in their early teens to mix up "there" and "their". Errors like that are easy to overlook. But others... Well, not so easy to ignore.

Below is a list I've compiled of every Critic's worst nightmare. Please be wary of these before requesting a review or critique of your works.

1. Covers- This is the first part of your story that a reader views. If your cover is professional, clean cut and eye catching, then you'll receive reads and comments. The same can be said for coverless stories or stories with a messy, boring cover.

2. Comments- This tip is one I am sure many have employed. Delete the negative/off topic comments from your story's comment section. If I, as a critic, go to review your story and see a comment that reads "I hated this," I will immediately be put off. Believe me, I go and read the comments before I do anything else. Another tip is to erase the comments that advertise the works of others. You want readers to read your story, not find a better story in the comments section.

3. Take advantage of your resources- By all means, add music and photographs to the sidebar.

4. Creativity is key- Your profile is an important part of gaining the attention of readers and critics alike. The whole point of posting on Wattpad is to gain exposure. That being said, you need to sell yourself to the readers, critics, writers and reviewers. Make yourself seem interesting. Quirky, positive, bubbly writers have the most followers- be the best you that you can be!

5. DO NOT USE IMPROPER OR INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE- I cannot stress this point enough. I can't list all of the instances in which I've come across statements such as "She tlked 2 him lyke she was vry mad w/ him." Really? You want to be a writer and you convey your story by posting stories like that? Please, save me and countless others the trouble and write with dignity.

For more spooky tricks, frightening faux pas, and tantalizing treats, come back and visit your favorite magazine in all of its ghoulish glory.

Until then, keep writing

-your creepy, kooky critic

~Sage Monroe, Piixie Dust Magazine resident critic