Writing workshop

A number of people have asked me to help them create novels, but I don't have the time to help everyone individually, so instead I've created some workshops. I hope they help. If you don't like this technique that's ok, ignore me and go do your own thing - do whatever works for you.

The idea for a novel can start with a character, story idea, a concept, a question, a what if? Or a story world. We will start with the plot, because we have to start somewhere. If you have already started with another element of the story don't worry, all these workshops are interchangeable and can be done in any order.

The primary function of a fiction writer is to tell a story. At the very minimum you need a three line plot. This consists of • A Premise - what is the story about. • A Complication - what difficulties do the characters have to overcome. • A Climax - how does the story end.

Without complications, objections, and hurdles for your characters to overcome, your story will fall flat, because all stories are about how humans overcome conflict. In fact, the more difficult you make it for your characters the more interesting your story will become.

Try sketching out simple, three line, plots: a premise, a complication, and a climax. The more you practice plot writing the easier it becomes, and sooner or later you are going to hit on that original plot that you cannot get out of your head and which turns into your next novel.

Let me know how you get on and please share any questions, ideas or techniques.

Nick.