chapter 20

Rachel took a deep breath before walking onto the stage. She had been an under study for Fanny Brice in Funny Girl on Broadway for weeks now but she had never gotten to perform. Finally the girl she was under studying, Marley Rose, had gotten into a huge fight with the director and had quit. This meant Rachel was to take over and tonight was her big night.

She had been back together with Finn for around two weeks and things were going unbelievably well. She had seen him every day and most nights they would just lie on his couch and watch a movie. Rachel loved being in this kind of relationship, they were both so content and happy.

Though they had told each other they loved each other and had seen each other everyday, they still hadn't... made love. There was never a right time because they each wanted it to be a special night. The extent of their physical realtionship so far was just heated make-out sessions. Regardless of their none existant sex life, they were both very happy and very much in love.

Whilst on the stage, Rachel could hear her heart thumping in her ears. This was her dream coming true and she needed it to be perfect. She quickly stole a glance to a front row seat that was being occupied by her boyfriend. He wore a proud look on his face and gave her a reassuring smile.

Taking confidence from him, she took a deep breath and began to recite her lines. Of course she knew them off by heart and didn't even need to think about what to say next. The script to Funny Girl was like her second language.

As the music to 'Don't Rain On My Parade' started, Rachel began to feel at ease. She had practised and practised all of her lines and all of the songs that she sang. She had this under control and she knew that Finn knew she would do amazing which gave her faith in herself.

Don't tell me not to live, just sit and putter,

Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter,

Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade.

Rachel sung confidently. She looked at Finn who had a huge grin on his face and gave her a thumbs up. She must be doing well.

She forgot about the huge crowd that was watching her as she sung as best she could. Finally all the years of practicing this song were paying off. All of her nerves slowly dropped away as she got through the song that she knew backwards.

When she finally got to the last note, she stood on center stage and belted out,

Nobody, no, nobody, is gonna rain on my paraaaade!

On her last note, she rose her hands in the air for emphasis and closed her eyes. When she had finished, she was greeted by the roaring of an applause and a huge smile appeared on her face. She looked to Finn's seat and saw him stood up, clapping frantically with huge smile on his face. He was so adorable. She didn't have much time to admire him though before she had to carry on with her performance.

The end of the show

Rachel accepted her praise from her co-stars and the director gracefully. Everyone had loved her and she was overjoyed to hear it. When she had made her way backstage she was greeted by a group of people.

She originally had only invited Finn and her Dad's to go and watch her, but here stood Finn, her Dads, Carole, Burt, Mercedes, Kurt, Santana, Quinn and Puck. Each were smiling happily and proudly at her.

"What are you guys doing here?" She asked at the happy surprise.

"Finn invited us." Santana answered. "You were incredible."

"Thank you." Rachel smiled graciously before looking over at Finn.

"Hey, Babe." He walked over to her with his signature half smile. "These are for you." He pulled a beautiful bouquet of red roses from behind his back and handed them to her.