Colors ↹ XVIII

Eighteen:
Memories

"My mom's book club usually has more wine." Lydia told the pack, plus Theo.

"The last book club I was at had cookies." Magenta added. She was able to heal and was forced to stay home from school before she snuck out for book club.

"Well, they also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles commented.

"That's why Malia's here." Scott replied.

"So none of us go running into traffic?" Kira asked.

"Or worse." Scott added.

"Like what happened to Judy." Malia stated. "Chapter 14."

Magenta covered her recently healed ears. "Don't spoil it. I haven't read it."

"Maybe it's better if Malia spoils it." Stiles suggested.

"Maybe I should have my mother read it." Lydia stated. "She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone."

"Yeah, if it works." Stiles pointed out.

"It has to."

"What does that mean?" Scott asked. Magenta picked up one of the printed copies and flipped through it.

"I think I saw them during my surgery. When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like . . ."  Lydia tried to explain.

"A memory trying to surface." Theo finished. Everyone looked at Theo.

"Yeah." Lydia answered.

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Kira asked.

"Apparently." Magenta answered.

"If they did something to me, I want to know what it is." Lydia stated.

↹↹↹

Magenta sat on the floor, with her back against the coffee table facing the kitchen. Her head moved up and down while she listened to music while reading. It was the only way she was able to stay awake while reading, other than the coffee Stiles was making her.

Her chest rose and fell again and again as she sucked air into her lungs. As the adrenaline began to wear off, Judy felt her eyes sting with tears. She looked away from the twisted remains of the creature that was once her friend as a wail escaped her lips.

With a labored step, Judy turned toward the open door at the end of the walkway. Blood pounder in her ears every step of the way like the cluster of a great cloud of bees.

Magenta read every word carefully before her phone buzzed against her lap. She set down the pages and picked up her phone, she changed the song before she read the message.

Augustus:
I honestly don't like Theo

Magenta:
Calm down. There is nothing to be jealous about. Then again, you're my cousin.

She turned her phone off and pulled one earbud out before she continued to read. The girl was happy that she only had to read the book once.

"Anyone feeling anything yet?" Scott's voice overpowered the singing voice of AC/DC. Magenta pulled out her earbuds and paused the music.

"Tired." Kira answered.

"Hungry." Lydia added.