Chapter 6

Amelia's P.O.V.

I'd decided to keep my night out with Roger relatively on the down-low until the evening arrived. I hadn't mentioned it to Charlotte (her especially as I could only imagine how she'd react) or even my parents. Not that I needed parental consent of course, I wasn't a teenager anymore - although admittedly sometimes I felt like I was treated like one. I think me moving to London a couple of years ago was quite hard for my parents, my mum especially, and in many ways still is. They knew I had to fly the nest eventually, but they missed me, and I missed them. That's why I cherished these times when I came to home to visit dearly, it took me back to when I spent nearly all of my days here.

Anyway, enough reminiscing about the past and back to the present. Right now I was stood in front of the large full length mirror that was propped up against the wall at the end of my bedroom. Gazing at the reflection in front of me, I analysed the outfit I'd picked out for tomorrow night which I was currently trying on. It consisted of a floral, long-sleeved shirt tucked into a black above-the-knee skirt and ankle boots to match. I accessorised with jewellery such as a beaded necklace, bracelets and rings. As I twirled and continued to look at my outfit from every possible angle, I frowned, still unhappy with the image in the glass. I chewed on my lip worriedly.

'I need help.' I murmured to myself before heading towards my door and opening it, leaving the room. I knew that the band were in the barn at the moment as I could hear them practicing so I didn't need to worry about running into 'you-know-who' at any given moment.

Making my way along the main upstairs corridor, I descended down the stairs and into the lobby. Waking past the living room, I noticed my dad lounging on the couch reading a newspaper and Jasper lying on the floor, sleeping at his feet. He turned his head in my direction.

'You look lovely, Amelia. Going out tonight?'

'Um...' I paused for a moment, debating on whether or not I should tell him, 'No, I'm just trying on some new clothes I bought recently. Just wanted to make sure they fit.'

The fact I'd bought these clothes not terribly long ago was in fact true, so I guess I was just telling a semi-lie. Nonetheless, I still felt bad for lying to my father, but I knew what would likely happen if I told him the truth; even if where I was going was only down to the pub with someone. The problem was that someone was Roger, a old colleague and good friend of Dad's, meaning he would make a huge fuss over nothing.

'So, what do you think, Dad? Do you think this outfit looks alright?' I asked.

'I think you look beautiful no matter what you wear.'

I grimaced, 'That's not constructive at all!'

Dad laughed, 'Yeah, I'm probably not the best person to go to for fashion advice, to be honest. Why don't you ask your mother what she thinks? She'll probably be more helpful than I am.'

I shook my head, laughing, before going to find my mum. After searching the house, I eventually found her in the study sitting at her desk, writing, probably managing the farm's finances.

I popped my head around the door, 'Sorry, Mum, I didn't mean to disturb you. I just wondered if I could ask you something real quick?'

'Of course, come in.' she said, taking off her reading glasses and putting down her pen. 'What can I help you with?'

I stepped into the room, 'I was wondering if I could get your opinion on this outfit I'm wearing. I'm not sure about it.'

'Amelia, you look gorgeous. The outfit works perfectly.' Mum assured, smiling, 'Any reason why you're all dressed up?'

'Umm...no?' my answer sounded more like a question.

Mum looked at me with one eyebrow raised. Unfortunately for me, she could tell when I was lying, always could. That's why I couldn't get away with anything around her when I was a child. She could sniff out a lie quicker than a sniffer dog can detect someone's scent.

'Oh c'mon, I know you're lying.' she taunted, 'Going somewhere nice?'

'Who I go out with is none of your business, thank you very much.' I retorted, before covering my mouth, immediately realising my mistake.

'So you are going out on a date with someone?' Mum smirked. 'You might as well spill the beans - who's the lucky chap?'

I sighed, annoyed by my mother's sheer nosiness, 'I'm going to the pub with Roger tomorrow night, okay?'

'Roger?' she asked, to which I nodded in reply, 'Aw, that's lovely. He does seem like a very nice lad.'

'Yeah, he is. It's not really a date, though, just a chance to get to know each other. I still want to look at least semi-decent, though.'

Mum nodded and before I'd even left the room, she shouted throughout the house to my dad.

'Frank! Did you hear that? Amelia's going down to the pub with Roger tomorrow night!'

I turned and glared at her viciously, as I heard Dad shout from the living room, 'Is that right? I knew she was hiding something. Well, I can't say I'm surprised. I mean you know what they say - all girls love drummers.'

Shaking my head, I looked at my mother in utter disbelief and whispered, but loud enough for her to hear, '23 years old, and my parents treat me like I'm half that age.'

'I know, but you'll always be our little girl in our eyes, no matter how old you are.' she walked over, wrapping her arms around me and squeezing me into a tight hug.

'Alright, I get the point,' I puffed, trying to loosen her hold on me as her embrance resulted in my inability to breathe.

She let go and looked at me, obviously trying not to laugh at the look of embarrassment on my face, and said in a mocking tone, 'Have fun tomorrow night!'

'I will.' I said in a deadpan voice before leaving the office and heading back upstairs.

My parents enjoyed winding me up way too much. But I guess that was just their way of showing their love for me, as strange as it may be.

─────

Hello again!

Sorry this chapter is irrelevant but I need to find things to fill chapters up. The next following chapters will be much more interesting I can guarantee you that. I can't wait to write them! Hope you liked this one nonetheless.

Thanks for all the support so far!

- Anna :-)