Chapter 17

Amelia's P.O.V.

Despite his apprehension and making up hundreds of last-minute excuses in an attempt to wriggle his way out of what I had planned, I eventually got Roger mounted and sat upon Patience - even though it took him a few attempts to get himself up there (I suggested a block to stand on but he was too much of a man for that, apparently). I'd helped him to tack up beforehand, whilst he stood there confused but amazed as to how I could do it so fast. After also tacking up Admiral and putting on my own riding hat, it was time to go. I tried my best not to giggle as I watched Roger struggling to get up, but after a few more goes he made it. When he did, I adjusted the stirrup leathers to suit his leg length, whilst he shifted about uncomfortably in the saddle.

'This isn't the most comfiest seat I've ever sat in.' he told me.

'You'll get used to it.' I assured him, as I made sure the straps were tight and secure, 'Right, I think we're good to go.'

I quickly showed Roger how to hold the reins in his hands, although I don't think he was paying much attention to what I was showing him as most of the time his eyes were on me. Ignoring his gaze to try to avoid blushing like mad, I made my way over to Admiral and mounted up. I looked over at Jasper who was still lying next to the stable waiting patiently.

'We're going now, Jasper.' I told him. He leapt to his feet and already sped off in the direction we were headed - I often took him with me whenever I went out on a hack so he knew exactly where we were going. Gathering my reins, I gave Admiral a gentle kick with my heel as he started to walk forward too. I heard Roger murmur worriedly from behind me.

'Er, Lee, how do I make her go forward?' he called out.

I turned around a bit so I could look at him, 'Give her a bit of a kick and tell her to 'walk on'. She should follow Admiral, anyway.'

Roger nodded, 'Okay....Come on, Patience, time to start moving. Walk on, girl.'

Luckily for him, Patience was a well-behaved horse, so she would do as she was told; well, most of the time anyway. The dapple grey mare moved forward as Roger clung to the reins tighter in reaction to the sudden jolt.

'Try not to hold the reins too tight. Remember - head up, shoulders relaxed, eyes forward, heels down.'

'I thought you said horse riding was 'simple'.' Roger frowned at me as our horses walked side by side out of the yard.

I chuckled, 'I'm only pulling your leg, Rog. And I lied - it really isn't. But as long as you have an amazing instructor like me, it should be no bother at all.'

'Whatever you say, Ma'am.' Roger replied jokingly as we headed towards the beginning of the woodland track that headed uphill around the top of the meadows.

We rode for maybe a mile and a half through the luscious green trees, the sunlight pouring through the gaps between the branches as it lit up our way. The woods were extremely quiet, nothing could be heard apart from the sound of birds twittering and our horses crushing the debris of sticks and fallen leaves beneath their hooves as they walked. I looked around, taking in the beautiful countryside around me. The fields could still be seen through the edge of the treeline and I kept a lookout for the gate we'd have to go through to head down to the river. Japser trotted ahead of us, stopping every so often and sniffing anything interesting that he found, as well as picking up and playing with the occasional stick that he took a fancy to. Because of the narrowness of the track, I rode in front while Roger followed behind. One of the times I turned my head to check on him, I noticed Patience had stopped walking and was munching away on the grass growing at the side of the path.

'Everything alright back there?' I asked, slowing Admiral down to a halt.

'She keeps stopping to eat grass. No matter how hard I try to keep her head up, she just yanks the reins straight out of my hands.'