Chapter 12

Amelia's P.O.V.

Over the next week and a bit, Roger and I had began talking to each other much more than we used to when he first arrived. Since the night out, our quick 'hello's and minimal conversation when we met in the corridor were no more and every day our 'friendship', I guess you could say, developed further. Roger fascinated me. Every day I learnt something new about him and his personality and, strangely enough, I wanted to know more. It was just a shame I only had a limited amount of time to do so.

The fact Roger seemed so willing to spend time with me, despite essentially being on holiday with his friends, was rather sweet. I told him that it wasn't necessary but he insisted on hanging out with me as according to him, and I quote, he 'has the rest of his future spending time with those three idiots, so a fortnight wouldn't do much harm.' It was gestures like this which meant I was becoming more and more fond of him by the day, but I hadn't completely fallen head over heels for him yet, as Charlotte kept expecting me to. Her remark about how I shouldn't let my doubts stand in the way of my happiness was still lingering in my head, and although I tried to ignore my growing feelings for Roger, I knew deep down she was right. All I knew for certain was that the day the band left to head back up to London was going to be difficult. Very difficult.

Anyway, best not to think about that until it happens. It was currently Wednesday afternoon and the lovely weather we'd been having had suddenly come to an abrupt end. I glanced out of my bedroom window, watching as the rain fell from the grey sky with no indication of it stopping. I really hated weather like this. Compared to outside, you couldn't do anything when you were stuck in the house. It wasn't so bad when you were working in the cafe because at least there you had something to do. However today I was at home as I had a day off, which meant there were only a limited number of tasks what were able to be completed. Ignoring my exasperated thoughts, I returned my attention back to my most recent issue of Horse & Hound which I had in my hands. My 'Let It Be' vinyl played softly in the background on the record turntable, which just drowned out the noise of the rain chucking it down outside. Even though the weather was pretty depressing, it was incredibly tranquil in the house - that was, until I heard the loud crash of what sounded like pots and pans hitting the floor downstairs.

From my knowledge, I was supposed to be the only person in the house - my mum was at work, my dad was in the garage outside fixing his quad bike, and the band were, I presumed, in the barn. Perhaps it was Japser snooping about in the kitchen cupboards again looking for food? It wouldn't surprise me. Nevertheless, the responsible thing would be to check out the mysterious noise, so I put my magazine down and jumped off my bed before heading downstairs. When I got to the bottom floor, I walked tentatively towards the entrance to the kitchen, where I heard more clattering and someone cursing under their breath.

So, there was somebody else in the house, then.

I carried on walking towards the kitchen and stopped outside it, before peeking around the doorframe to see who had caused the disturbance. Still picking kitchen utensils off the floor in front of me was Freddie, who was looking rather flustered and confused. He placed the misplaced objects onto the counter, still unaware that I was standing just meters away from him. Deciding to make my presence known, I cleared my throat before speaking up.

'Freddie?' I said, as he jumped back in surprise, 'What on earth are you doing?'

'Amelia!' he exclaimed, shocked at first but then looking relieved, 'Just the person I wanted to see! You work in a cafe, correct?'