Chapter 22

Roger's P.O.V.

Lee and I talked and laughed about anything that came into our minds whilst we sat and ate our meal. The conversation was perfect, whether it was about my life or hers or something completely different, we never ran out of things to talk about. That was one of the things I'd noticed in particular about Lee, she was so easy to get along with and nothing but herself. Most girls I'd met tried to act like something they weren't and put on a persona in an attempt to impress me but, really, I knew that all they wanted was to have something to show off to their friends i.e. a 'rockstar' for a boyfriend.

But although I wasn't going out with her, Lee didn't come across like that at all. Even the day we first met, although she was interested in what I did for a living, she still treated me like any other human being; something I didn't receive as often as I would preferred from people anymore. I really appreciated it.

'So, what's the plan when you head back up to London? Apart from your new job, of course.' I asked, taking a sip of my drink.

Lee looked up at me from the food on her plate, which she was currently taking a forkful of, 'I dunno. I'll have to get back into the swing of being back in the bustling city environment again, for a start. Although I've been living there for almost 4 years now, when I go back home to the country, I often forget how hectic the town really is in comparison.'

I chuckled, 'I know what you mean. I grew up out in the sticks myself.'

'Really? I thought you said you lived in Truro?'

'I did, but not in the actual town itself. I lived outside it, in a little village. Have to admit, it was pretty boring. Not much happened. I couldn't wait to pack my bags when I got accepted into dentistry school in London.'

'Hold on. Dentistry school? Lee giggled, 'You never mentioned that you wanted to be a dentist.'

'I didn't, I absolutely despised it - the work, the people. The only reason why I enrolled was because my teacher told me it paid well. I was just so unhappy that I dropped out within the first year. I did go on to complete a bachelors in Biology, but I didn't have any intention of doing anything with that either - I only did it to keep my parents happy.'

'But if you disliked it so much, why put yourself through hell in the first place?'

I shrugged, 'I needed to have a plan if things didn't turn out the way I'd hoped, but I really only went there for the music scene. I missed being in a band - the one I was in before had split up, and I realised I couldn't stand not being in a group. I figured, given its reputation of being the birthplace of so many great bands, London would be the perfect place to go.'

'And was it?' asked Lee softly, her blue eyes shining as she lifted her glass to her lips.

'Well, I think so,' I smiled, 'I mean, I joined a band which has become a bigger success than I could have imagined. We've been lucky enough to do what we love for a living, travel the world and use some of the best recording studios in the country. Which, ultimately also led to meeting you - definitely one of the best highlights so far.'

I winked at Lee as she just shook her head and chuckled, 'Very charming, Rog.'

'So I'm told.' I said, a grin spreading across my lips as I took a bite of the food on my plate. Lee smirked as she turned her head and peered out the window, watching the all the people go by. I knew she was trying to hide her face from my view, but I could still tell it had turned bright red because of my comment.