Chapter 25

Roger's P.O.V.

My heart felt like it was about to leap out of my chest as Amelia's lips inched closer and closer to mine - the temptation to just grab her face and kiss her right here and there becoming almost unbearable. I'd managed to resist the urge all day, but now that I had the perfect opportunity, I don't think I could for any longer. Our faces were barely centimetres apart now. This is it, Roger, don't fuck it up I thought to myself. But before anything else could follow, something occurred which completely destroyed the moment.

'Roger, Amelia! There you two are - we've been looking for you everywhere.' I heard Freddie's voice call out to us.

Oh, for fuck's sake.

I glared at the singer, who was followed by the rest of the group, as Lee and I pulled back from each other and stood there trying to act like nothing had happened just seconds ago.

Clearing my throat, I made up some rubbishy excuse as to what took us so long ,'Yeah, we, uh, got a little held back. Sorry.'

Freddie raised an eyebrow at us before shrugging it off, 'Well...at least we found you.'

Luckily, nobody questioned us any further as Brian announced it was time we thought about heading back to Rusper.

'It's getting pretty late, guys,' he told us as he looked down at his watch, 'We should perhaps start making our way back to the van, seeing as everyone's here now.'

'That's probably a good idea,' Freddie agreed with him. He started walking, before turning to us again, 'C'mon you two lovebirds, that includes you and all.'

Reluctantly, Lee and I tagged along behind the rest of the group as we followed them to the end of the pier and back onto the street. As we walked back to the van, I looked at Lee who had her arms crossed over her chest and was still looking extremely flustered and embarrassed. Not wanting there to be any awkwardness between us, I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, rubbing her arm to reassure her that everything was okay. She looked up at me and smiled, instantly relaxing and also putting my mind at ease. Once we'd finally made it back to the car park, the boys said goodbye to their other halves.

'Are you sure you girls don't want a lift? We're heading in that direction anyway.' John asked.

'You're alright, love. Chrissie took her car with her so we'll get home just fine.' Veronica assured him, 'I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?'

John nodded and gave her a hug and a kiss, before climbing into the front seat of the van. Brian approached Chrissie and did the same, before clambering into the van too. After Lee and Charlotte exchanged farewells with the girls, I said goodbye but before I could join the rest of them, I felt someone take ahold of my arm and pull me to the side which stopped me in my tracks. I turned around to see Veronica who was looking at me seriously.

'Listen, Roger, the others might be none the wiser about what happened at the pier, but I know what I saw. You were going to kiss Amelia, weren't you?'

I shook my head and shifted nervously on the spot, 'N-no, what makes you think that?'

'Oh, c'mon, I'm not blind - you might as well have shouted it to the world it was that obvious,' she chuckled, as I stood there with a frown on my face and my cheeks turned red. Veronica stopped laughing and became serious again.