Chapter 14

Roger's P.O.V.

'Yes, Mum, everything's fine.' I assured my overprotective mother as I spoke to her over the phone. I made sure I called her at least once a week, wherever I was, as she'd be fretted over whether or not I was safe and sound, 'We're making progress on the album and having a great time here in Rusper.'

'That's good to hear.' she replied, 'Although I do hope you're keeping out of mischief.'

My eyes widened, 'Mum! What do you take me for? I do have manners, y'know?'

'I know, Roggie, but sometimes you do struggle to know your boundaries -'

'Alright, alright,' I stopped her, not wanting a lecture, 'I promise you I'm being good, okay? I'm not a child.'

'Well, remember to keep it that way,' Mum warned, 'And make sure to thank Mr. and Mrs. Andrews for their hospitality before you leave.'

'I will,' I replied, the reminder of leaving Ridge Farm hitting me like a tonne of bricks, 'Look, I need to go. I'll phone you, soon, okay? Say hi to Dad for me.'

'I will. Good night, Roger. See you soon. Love you.'

'Love you too,' I said before I put the phone down.

I sighed and rubbed my face tiredly as I walked out of the lobby and down the main hallway. God, my mum could drive me up the wall sometimes. I mean I loved her to the moon and back, but she had a terrible habit of treating me as if I were half my age, hence the constant reminders to act with decorum. But then again I'll probably always be her little boy in her eyes, no matter how old I get. She was just showing she cared about me. I couldn't hold that against her.

Anyway, I carried on walking through the house until I got to the basement door. I opened it and began to make my way down the steps to below the building, the wooden steps creaking loudly under my feet as I descended into the room. I was met by the presence of my fellow bandmates, who were gathered around the pool table in the middle of the room, looking competitive as they were absorbed in the game. Freddie was leant over the table, cue in hand, as he lined up the cueball with the last remaining red ball on the green surface. Brian and John stood next to him, watching nervously as Freddie pulled back the cue, ready to pot the ball into the pocket, ending the game. With a brisk tap, Freddie sent the cueball colliding with the red, ricocheting off the sides of the table and rolling straight into the top right pocket.

'Unbelievable.' John exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air dramatically.

'That's the third time in a row you've won,' Brian exclaimed, 'I'm starting to think you're cheating...'

Freddie scoffed, 'Me? Cheating? Don't be ridiculous, darling. It all comes down to pure talent and skill. Something I possess and you two losers seem to lack.'

'I must admit, three times winning in a row is quite impressive.' I walked towards them.

'Ah, Roger, there you are,' Brian looked at me as he and the others recliamed the balls from the nets and started setting them back into tbe rack on table again for another game, 'Where'd you run off to?'

'I was phoning my mum.'

'Ah, how sweet! Did she give you kissies over the phone?'' Freddie teased as he pouted his lips and made overexaggerated kissing noises.

'Leave him alone, Fred, there's nothing wrong with being a mummy's boy.' Brian smirked.

'The only reason I phone her every night is the fact she'd probably kill me if I didn't,' I tried to explain, 'You know what mothers are like - they're always worrying about you.'