Chapter 24

Roger's P.O.V.

Once the waltzer cars had ground to a halt, Amelia and I pushed the bar up so we could get out and, slowly, started making our way down the steps towards the gate. Still extremely dizzy, we held onto each other in case either of us fell, which almost happened when Lee missed a step and nearly went head over heels down the rest.

'Whoa, careful!' I laughed as I quickly caught her in time.

'Sorry,' she replied in a fit of giggles as she stood upright again, 'Jesus Christ, everything's spinning. I feel like I'm drunk.'

I smirked, 'Believe me, we all know how that feels.'

As we started walking, I glanced over at Lee who was now suddenly doubled over and taking a lot of deep breaths. I put a hand on her back, 'You alright? You're not going to be sick, are you?'

'No, I'm just, uh, feeling a little light-headed, that's all,' she stood up straight again, 'I'll be fine.'

I looked at her concerned, 'Do you want to sit down for a minute or two?'

She paused momentarily before nodding in agreement to my suggestion. We made our way towards the nearest unoccupied bench and sat down, as Lee closed her eyes and sat forward with her elbows rested on her knees, still looking as pale as a sheet.

'I'm sorry for putting you on such an aggressive ride and making you ill.' I looked at her, feeling guilty as I continued to rub her back soothingly.

She chuckled lightly, 'It's alright, Rog. It's not your fault. Amusement park rides just don't agree with me.'

'You should have said, we didn't have to go on the waltzers if you didn't want to.'

Lee looked up at me with an eyebrow raised, 'And let you stand there bold as brass thinking I was scared of them? No chance.'

I laughed as I stared at her in disbelief, 'So you'd rather go on a fairground ride and make yourself sick than to admit you're afraid?'

'You got that right,' she stated, 'Besides, I actually really enjoyed it surprisingly enough. Well, up until the aftermath, that is.'

'I knew you'd like it in the end.' I said, gently nudging her shoulder as she smiled down at the ground.

After Amelia had made a full recovery from her motion sickness, we went to the arcade for a bit (where we ended up being just as competitive as we were earlier) before gradually making our way back to the start of the pier. Despite being the late afternoon, the warm weather showed no sign of fading, apart from the fact the wind had picked up, which was even more blustery than before. Whilst we strolled along the walkway together, Lee suddenly stopped after seeing something had caught her eye.

'Look, ice cream!' she exclaimed as she grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the ice cream stand situated ahead of us. I chuckled at her over-excitement.

'Remind me what age did you turn last Saturday again?'

Lee didn't seem very impressed by my joke, 'Shut up, everyone knows there's no such thing as being too old for ice cream; it's a well known fact.'

'Fair enough,' I admitted, 'I'm guessing you're feeling better now, too?'

'Of course I am...then again I'd probably run a marathon just for ice cream,' she stated, 'Now you wait here whilst I go and get us some - the least I can do is pay for that. What are you wanting?'