Chapter 16

Amelia's P.O.V.

Saturday had finally come around and I couldn't be more happier that it had. Although I was working today, I didn't mind because it meant I wouldn't be at home for most of the morning and afternoon i.e. I wouldn't be hassled by my parents all day who would undoubtedly be making a fuss over me, which they did every year on this day in June.

Perhaps I'm not being clear enough on what I'm talking about. Today is my birthday. Yeah, another year older. Whoop-dee-doo. I'd never really approached birthdays with much enthusiasm, not since I was a child at least. When it was my 'special day', I had a habit of not mentioning it to anyone, and saying no to any big celebratory ideas such as throwing a party or something of equal excitement. In London, I would maybe have gone out for a few drinks with my flatmates to celebrate but that would be the limit - I just didn't think it was that big of a deal.

My parents (my mum especially) however, thought the opposite and would make a huge fuss for the 24 hours and insist on doing something to mark the occasion. After much arguing over the matter, I eventually came to agree on having birthday dinner here at home with the family, which my mother was only more than happy about. Although I was terribly stubborn, I did appreciate what my parents were doing for me and why they wanted to acknowledge this day with something special. After all, I guess I am their only child who has a birthday they can celebrate who's still here to celebrate it with them...

Anyway, I digress. Every table in the cafe was occupied today, both inside and outside. Mrs. Harold, Charlotte and I were bustling about the place like headless chickens, trying to get orders served on time and, most importantly, to the right customers. Almost every day had been as busy as this so far, and with the warm weather, it was becoming very long and tiring. But, we pushed on until it was nearing closing time and the cafe began to slowly quieten down.

Whilst I was clearing away and wiping one of the empty tables, I was taken by surprise when my colleagues all entered the room and started singing Happy Birthday to me - the customers even joined in too. I stood there shaking my head but smiling from ear to ear as Dorothy presented me with a birthday cake, candles and all, setting it on the counter with the words 'Happy Birthday Lee!' written in icing on the top.

'Well? Cmon over here and make a wish!' Charlotte beckoned me over once they'd finished singing.

Putting my cloth down, I smirked as I walked towards the front of the counter. Closing my eyes, I made my wish and blew the candles out, the whole cafe filled with applause as I blushed with embarrassment.

'Dorothy made the cake, but I did the writing,' Charlotte winked.

'I figured that. But I didn't say anything about my birthday.' I noted, 'How did you know?'

'Lee, you're my best mate - of course I knew. I had a feeling you wouldn't have mentioned it as per usual, so I made sure that today didn't go by unknowingly.'

'This is just a little something from all of us, Amelia.' Mrs. Harold smiled as she handed me over a gift bag with my name on the tag.

I opened it up to find perfume, a pair of silver earrings, a box of chocolates and a bottle of exotic Italian wine, along with a card signed by all of them.

'Hmm, you know me too well.' I laughed, as I held the wine bottle in my hand before putting it back in the bag 'Thank you so much for the cake and the presents, girls - you really didn't have to go to the trouble of all this. It was awfully kind of you.'

'Aw, you're very welcome, Lee,' Charlotte beamed as she stepped around the counter and wrapped her arms around me, giving me a huge hug, 'Happy Birthday - again!'