Chapter 16- The bodyguard

When I woke up I was still in Robin's arms. I smiled at that. He stirred a bit in his sleep. "Good morning, beautiful" he said once I looked up at him. I blushed.

 "Morning" I said. 

"Your really cute when you blush, ya know?" he said. My blush deepened.

 "I'm supposed to flirt with you. Not the other way around" I said. I tried to get out of bed but Robin pulled me back. He buried his face in the crook of my neck. 

"A few more minutes" he said through my hair. His lips brushed against my neck making me shiver. He chuckled. 

"Kitty, I need you to meet your mother in the lounge. The rest of the team, report to the mission room" Batman said through the intercom. 

Robin sighed slightly. "He has the worst timing" Robin said. We got up and separated to go to different places. When I got to the lounge I seen mom with a suitcase.

 "Where are you going Mom?" I asked.

 "Batman thinks you might need a little time away from the team. So we're going back home. It's just temporary. He told me about what happened with the facing fears test. He agrees that you need some time off" she said. "It's for the best Alex. Just a week tops" she added. A little time away. Okay. That wasn't to bad. And it's just temporary. Mom, and Batman are right. This is what I need. This is for the best. We walked out into the mission hall. Batman stopped telling the team about the mission. He nodded to Mom and Mom nodded back

. "Team, Kitty's taking a bit of a break. It's just temporary. Go ahead and say your goodbyes for now" Batman said. They all came over and gave me a hug.

 "It's been an honor working with you so far, Kitty" Kalar said. 

"The same to you" I said. 

Then Conner gave me a hug (which really surprised me). "I can't believe I'm saying this but, It's been nice having you on the team" he said.

 "Thanks, It's been nice being on the team" I said with a smile. 

Wally came over and hugged me "Now who's going to save me from Artemis? She's still mad about me asking her to dance on the last mission" he said.

 "Sorry, but your on your own there" I said. 

Megan came over and hugged me next "It's not going to be the same without you here" she said.

 "You guys are making it sound like I'm never going to come back" I said. They smiled. Then Zatanna (surprisingly) came over and hugged me.

 "Robin's mine. I suggest you back away while you still can" she whispered coldly in my ear.

 "Let the best hero win. When I say that I mean me" I whispered just as coldly to her. 

Artemis came over and hugged me the tightest so far "I'm going to miss you so,so,so,so much" she said. I could tell by her voice that she was barley able to contain herself from bursting out into tears. 

"It's okay. I'll be back before you know it" I said trying to cheer her up. Then Robin came and hugged me. He didn't say anything at first. Just hugged. 

"Kitty I want you to promise me something. Promise me that you'll stay safe" he whispered.

 "I promise" I whispered back. After we finally pulled away I could see that he got a little teary-eyed. "It's okay. I'll be back soon" I said. I seen a small tear form in the corner of his eye. I wiped it away and laid my hand gently on his cheek.

  He closed his eyes and placed his hand on top of mine. "Stay safe" he said. I nodded.

Soon Mom and I were back in our old apartment. I went up to my room. I sprawled out on my bed. I thought of Artemis. I thought of Robin. The thought of both of them crying made me finally break. I burst out into tears. Normally Robin would be here to comfort me. But not now. Maybe this whole break thing wasn't such a good idea.

Robin's pov-

"Wait what?!" I practically yelled. Batman was talking about how he thinks Alexa (let me remind you that I'm in love with this girl) is in trouble. He says him and her mother both think that there are people out there trying to kill her. That's out mission. We have to watch his Alex around the clock and in shifts to make sure no one tries to hurt her. Then Kitty walks out with Catwoman. Batman goes silent. Then he tells us that Kitty's taking a break. He tells us to say our goodbyes. I was last. For awhile all I could do was hold her. I didn't want to let her go. It looked like she didn't want to either because she didn't make any attempt to part from my arms. 

"Kitty I want you to promise me something. Promise me that you'll stay safe" I whispered. 

"I promise" she whispered back. After a bit we finally pulled away. I could tell I was teary-eyed. "It's okay. I'll be back soon" she cooed. I could feel a tear form in the corner of my eye. She wiped it away and rested her hand on my cheek. I closed my eyes and put my hand on top of hers. 

"Stay safe" I said. She nodded.

"Okay, you're mission starts now. I'm sending you her address" Batman said looking at me. I could tell my eyes were still red from crying. At least I wasn't the only one. Artemis had been crying to. We all got on our bikes (except Megan and Zatanna) as they followed me to the address. 

"It's okay Robin. We'll protect her" Megan said. I didn't even know she physically linked us.

 "I know" I said. When we got there we all found a place to perch and keep out of sight. I stayed closest to her window. I peered inside. What I saw had my heart shatter. Alex was sitting on her bed crying her eyes out.

"Is everything okay, Robin?" Zatanna asked through the link.

"What's she doing?" Wally asked. 

"She's-she's- crying" I finally said. Everyone went silent. I swear my heart shattered into a million pieces as I watched her cry herself to sleep. I wanted to go in there and hold her. Tell her everything was going to be alright. But mostly......................tell her I loved her.