Chapter 1

I remember the first time that I got mixed up in a drug deal. It was just for my boyfriend at the time, who went by Meek Mill when we weren't alone, and I was supposed to deliver the cocaine that had been already paid for. That was when I was still in New York. Meek Mill was easily a foot taller than me, his skin dark chocolate and some parts were covered in tattoos. At the time, our relationship had been hitting a rough patch and we fought more than usual. 

I'll admit I was blind.

I was always trying to pass off what he referred to as "foreplay" as exactly that- when really it was just him taking out his anger on me when someone would get in a fight with a rival gang or get arrested. That day I had gotten arrested for being with people that had illegal substances, and upon being bailed out by Meek Mill he took me home and beat me. I acknowledged it as that for the first time that night- and after the rough sex he left me alone. 

It was the next day I ran, and although that sounds incredibly childish, there was no other way for me to get out of that situation. Not otherwise being allowed to have my own credit card, or even car- as he insisted on paying for everything- I had to steal his and withdraw enough money to take me to the airport and buy a ticket for the first plane that would take me as far away from New York as possible. I left everything as it had been; the house was only missing one of his suitcases, numerous of my outfits, and...well, me. 

Everything I did that day was paid for in cash. I can remember the plane almost exactly to the people sitting next to me and the movies I watched on the flight. I hadn't thought about how he could track me by my phone until I had gotten off the plane, but I left it in a trashcan with the power turned off. Okay, maybe I had thrown it into the trashcan as hard as I could, but that was a reflection of my anger over anything else. 

I remember leaving the airport and walking for what felt like forever until someone picked me up. My feet were aching by then, and the high heels I'd had on were clicking against the pavement with a dull tap each time they made contact. The man that had picked me up wasn't free, but it was an easy payment that required no money and just several minutes of time from me. 

He left me in Los Angeles in front of a motel, and after that I had set out to do the only thing I knew how- get money the dirty way. Though that took care of me for the motel for a week, that wasn't going to cut it. Los Angeles wasn't New York. Although it was dirty, the slums even were tough for business. It had taken a month to get enough for an apartment, and that led to me to getting a job as a waitress. Admittedly, I wasn't used to this much work for something I wanted. I was used to being the little pampered princess, getting whatever I wanted at my own request.

All it had taken was a particularly whiney "daddy" and there it would be. Anything I wanted, I would get with no work except going to parties as Meek Mill's arm accessory. The fact I knew how to take care of myself had honestly come after about a week with no other option (I particularly hated the laundromat experience). Honestly, all the while I was wondering what made me choose to leave when that life was so much better. The occasional hit all of a sudden seemed worth it, but upon thinking of the consequences waiting for me when I would get back, that idea shut itself up very quickly.

"Nicki!"

I was snapped out of my thoughts by my acting manager, Kim. 

"Yes, ma'am? Sorry, I was just..."

"Look, we don't pay you to stand around and scrub the counter while staring out the window. Go take care of the customer at 7a, and then you can do whatever you particularly enjoy." Kim snorted, shaking her head and leaving to go back into the kitchen. 

I looked down at my hand that still clutched at the towel on the sink. My nails were still sort of painted, but the paint was chipped. I didn't have any rings on my fingers, which was a new experience on it's own- though I was learning to live with it. I snatched one of the menus from under the cabinet and made my way to the table in Row Seven. 

"Hi, welcome to Big Wanda's. Can I interest you in any of our specials?" I offered, handing the woman sitting at the table the menu. 

She peered at me out from underneath her snapback hat. Otherwise, she was wearing flannel and jeans. Her lips parted gently, covered in red matte. "No, thanks, I think I know what I want," she said, looking up at me and putting on a bright smile. God, even her teeth were perfect.

I pulled out my notepad, nodding. "Alright, what can I get you?"

"A Wanda Special. No tomatoes and can I get extra cheese?" 

I nodded, scribbling it down legibly enough for the cook to be able to read when I gave it to him. "Alright, thank you, Miss...?"

"Miss Knowles works just fine."

"Alright, then. Thank you, Miss Knowles. I'm Nicki, and if you need anything just call me over. Can I get you anything to drink while you wait?" I asked, putting on a smile as I pocketed the notebook. 

Miss Knowles nodded. "Just water is fine."

"I'll get that right to you, then," I said, nodding for finality as I walked back to the counter to give the cook the order and the cup of water. 

Almost three months I'd been here, and this was all I could pull off? 

Pathetic.