Chapter 10

Nicki's POV

I woke up in the hotel before the sun had fully risen. We had flown to Vegas last night, and now that we were here, I'm looking around at everything and realizing I should have run away here and made a fortune. Oddly enough, I'd only been to Vegas one or two other times, but this was like an entirely new experience. 

We were set up with two per room so that we weren't blowing all our money (New York was expensive as hell and drug cartel among other things only gets you so far) just yet. Turning on the radio when I went into the bathroom to shower and get ready for the day ahead, I kept it low so I wouldn't wake Ri up as she was still asleep.

I recognized the song, though only after I had gotten in the shower and was completely wet. It was a Green Day song, though I don't think I'd ever listened to something like I listened to that one song before. Wake Me Up When September Ends had just been starting, and I was just frozen in place, shampoo still not fully washed out of my hair as I just stood there and listened. Part of me was in awe that it was such a beauty lyrically and melodically- every beat perfect to convey the perfect tone throughout the whole thing. 

In fact, I was shocked to find myself a little teary eyed as I remained in the shower. 

I was well aware this song would be stuck in my head all day, but I didn't really mind. I was finally snapped out of my daze as it ended and the radio host started speaking, moving back into motion as I continued to wash my hair. Though, I knew it reminded me of something, I couldn't put my finger on it exactly. It was something- or maybe somebody, I don't know- big and important. 

Honestly, listening to the station was perfect, because it was the right mix of a happy nostalgia. I, admittedly, lost my cool when Blink-182 started playing and I did sing along to every goddamn word of All The Small Things, because yeah, that style of music was pretty much the best thing in my life when it had come out. Actually, I didn't get into rap or hip hop until recently, but I still couldn't forget my roots. Though, thinking of Blink-182, I remembered I had an Enema of the State shirt that I'd planned to sleep in, but maybe I'd wear it today until I changed into my performance clothes. It was just a large brunch with everyone that was gonna be there tonight, so why not dress comfortably?

Once I'd finished with my hair, I continued on to shaving my legs to My Own Worst Enemy and cleaning up everywhere else. Turning off the hot water, I pulled the towel off the rack and wrapped it around myself and started to put goop in my hair, running a brush through it before starting to dry it. I was still bopping along to the music, though I had lost knowledge of the actual titles and instead just listened and enjoyed. 

By the time I was done, I didn't feel like straightening my hair yet, so I put it up in a high ponytail and put on the fresh panties and bra I had brought in. I went back out to put on my Enema of the State shirt and a skirt. By the time I'd slipped into my sandals, Rihanna was awake and putting clothes on, mumbling something about taking a shower later. 

I slipped my earrings in, then went to the mirror to touch up the makeup I'd already done before. When I was finished, I picked up a little bag that had been in my suitcase and put my phone inside it, heading out into the hall. Ri was close behind me, but she didn't seem like much of a morning person to begin with.  

When we got downstairs and met up in the reserved dining hall, it was a lot more busy than I'd thought it would be. However, that didn't deter me as I glanced back at Ri and decided to forge forward and meet some new people. If I was gonna be with them for almost a month for this competition, then dammit, I'd make some friends.